Tuesday, March 14, 2023

*whew!* and WOW!

For his 12th birthday, William's Aunt Cara and Uncle Colin had sent him new bedding for his birthday, stars and galaxies, deep swirls of blue and gray, with constellations printed out. The stars glow in the dark. Very cool and he loves it. 

On the list of things to do, we needed to find a new rug to match his new bedroom things.  William had an appointment. I had a few errands to run so we left a bit early. We were in a store that had a large pile of carpets. He saw a huge fluffy white one. He stretched across it with a rapturous look on his face. "This is great!" he said. 

White!

We once had a white rug in the livingroom. We put it down and it looked very nice. For a few hours. One small boy managed to get spaghetti sauce on it on the very same day that we got it.  Scrub as I might, that stain remained and ultimately the rug was retired to one of the upstairs bedrooms where the stain could be hidden beneath a piece of furniture.  

That boy is older and taller now, But  a white rug? For William? My god. I was having flashbacks.

I tried to be gentle about it. "White rugs stain very easily. What if your shoes were dirty..." 

"We don't wear shoes in the house."

"Well, if something got spilled..." 

"I don't eat in my bedroom. Sometimes I have a Sprite. Noah and I had snacks. But I don't really eat in my bedroom." We stood staring at each other across that pile of carpets. 

I stood there trying to think of reasons to justify not getting a white rug. He stood there, rubbing his hands across it in a dreamy way. 

"I just don't think," I started and suddenly his face changed. 

"Wait....wait....wait a minute...." He had caught a glimpse of a rug further down in the pile. It was a dark denim blue fluffy rug that appeared to change color when you saw it from different vantage points. Dark gray, almost black, to a dark indigo blue. He ran his hands across it and watched the effect. "This is it, he said firmly. "It matches perfectly." 

I agreed that it was a perfect match. 

It was also on sale for $20 less than the marked price. 

And, most importantly, it was not white. 

We headed to the register with our purchase. William was very excited. I was ridiculously relieved. 

On a completely unrelated note:  Last night, Tim and I managed to get half way through 'Remember This, a one man performance piece by David Strathairn. Tim cannot do late nights at the moment, and I have to get a young man off to school in the mornings. We hated to turn it off. What a powerful piece. As usual, I was googling on my phone as we watched it, and found the book, written by Jan Karski. I showed it to Tim, saying "this is a book worth having." He told me to order it, but I'm the sort that does nothing without comparing prices. I told him that I'd look around the following day. We woke up this morning and the first words out of Tim's mouth were, "You need to find that book." Powerful, powerful stuff. 

If you get a chance to see it, you should. If not, get the book. It should be required reading/viewing for every high school student. 

But of course it won't be. 



35 comments:

  1. Kay of Musings: Phew on the white carpet! Wow! We had a whitish leather sofa once. And yes, it didn’t stay that color forever. I’ll look up Remember This. You’ve made me curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: Turned out Art had the show recorded. We’ll watch it as soon as we have time. It’s crazy over here right now.

      Delete
  2. A blue fluffy rug that changes colours. Perfect. Although a white fluffy rug would have changed colours, too, despite what William said. Accidents do happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we just watched this the other night on PBS ... amazing performance. There was also interviews with people who has known Jan Karski and films. Amazing man... amazing amazing amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness he spotted the blue rug! White is SO impractical. We once went to an auction in the Cotswolds. Obviously some well-heeled Londoners had bought a "place in the country" and kitted it out but perhaps only come down once or twice before deciding the country wasn't for them. The entire contents of the house was there - several WHITE sofas - I mean! they clearly didn't have a dog . . .White rugs. White, and purple towels, brand new, barely out of wrappings. Miehle this and that for electricals. My goodness - auction prices are a fraction of new prices. They lost a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. William's new bedroom kit sounds very impressive. Lucky boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's got a lot of people who care a great deal about him. I wish that it could be like that for every kid.

      Delete
  6. We watch a lot of things on PBS. I going to look for that program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incredibly powerful. Neither one of us have seen anything quite like it. A sobering testimony: we see the result of ignoring a cry for help all those years ago. Yet today, we do the same. We have really learnt nothing.

      Delete
  7. White would be bad for stains, but you might find that dark shows regular dirt more. We’ve had a white car and two black ones, and the blacks really show the dirt. We had two dark rugs in our previous home. They were new and deep, rich colours. I vacuumed a lot. Present rugs are grey and I seldom see the need to vacuum, or at least the necessity. Maybe my eyes are failing. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A benefit to poor eyes? I think that this rug will be a sock lint magnet. And working on a pouch from his mega Lego set, he lost the black pieces in the rug, which peeved him mightily and slowed down the process. Rugs can be vacuumed. KIds are just grimey. Rugs can be shampooed, but it is a far more time consuming thing. I'm old, and got better things to do with my time.

      Delete
  8. Attending a birthday celebration in a (rented) chateau, rules stated no red wine in the lounge. In France?
    White sofas , London designer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate impractical things. When they show decorators turning books spine to the wall, it aggravates me. A house is meant to be functional first and foremost.

      Delete
  9. Remember This hasn't crossed my radar but having watched the introduction of it, it seems like my cup of tea. I will watch it shortly! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think. This fellow tried so hard. His private life...he became a US citizen in 1954. He was a professor at Georgetown University. He married his wife, a holocaust survivor, the sole survivor of her family in 1965. She committed suicide in 1992. He, himself, died in 2000. His funeral was held in the Washington Cathedral, and the kaddish was read. A quote from his that I love goes something like 'now I am old. I no longer need courage. I need compassion.'

      Delete
    2. I just finished the second half this morning. I am amazed at how captivating and emotional it was with only one person acting and a table and two chairs for props. The beating scene was especially gripping. Probably the only thing I could have done without was his accent. I found it difficult at times to hang onto his words. But had he given the entire performance in American accent, it wouldn't have the same power either.

      Delete
  10. I recently finished reading The Choice : embrace the possible by Dr. Edith Eva Eger about her experience during the Holocaust and it is difficult to stop thinking about the suffering that people endured. It makes the hate that is swirling around our country more worrisome and I wonder when people will learn how to accept others and live in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does...and there is such resistance to children being exposed to historical injustices. I will never understand it. William knows these things in an age appropriate way. It is a sacred duty to pass these stories on. The sacred duty of every single one of us with a child in our lives.

      Delete
  11. Well handled. You didn't forbid the white one, just the problems. pointed out the problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it had come right down to it, I would have forbidden the white rug. Very grateful that I did not have to.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the tip re. the Straithairn piece. Thank GOD he didn't go for the white rug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divine intervention right there in Ollie's.

      Delete
  13. I would still be thrilled with bedding like that. It would tie in with the glow in the dark stars on my ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice resolution for the cool carpet. Google the TV guide for PBS shows. I too saw that show, I think on PBS-1. Maybe it will appear again so you can plan to see it all. Yep, I googled about Karski as it was playing and showing the post-production interviews. The actor was very good for his basically one-man performance. Maybe PBS has the DVD for sale within it's online catalog. Certainly worth buying. PBS has many good biographies. Linda in Kasas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have it. We'll read the book, and we will check the library for the DVD. We really do enjoy a lot of PBS programming. 48 Hours to Victory was excellent and the life story of Frederick Douglas was wonderful as well. He's a special favorite of mine. I did a historical play playing Lucretia Mott. Frederick Douglas was involved in the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention of 1848.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for that Google inspiration. I listened to an audiobook recently that was quite profound - The Happiest Man on Earth by Eddie Jaku https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-happiest-man-on-earth-eddie-jaku/book/9781760980085.html
    I hope William enjoys the new linen and rug. We went out to dinner recently and the carpet was bizarre. It looked like the brief was "make it look like it's already stressed and dirty - like an old timber shed floor complete with stripes - now throw a pinky red splash across it like someone has tripped and spilled Bolognese sauce - now drop a bottle of purple in over here - oh excellent 👍 let's have this repeat across the whole room". Someone got paid to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, William will be very disappointed to have missed that money making opportunity!

      Delete
  16. I'm so glad he found that dark blue rug. I'd like one like that myself if I did rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. By the way, we saw Remember This earlier this week. Wow! Thank you for telling us about this. It was riveting and powerful. What an incredible performance. What an incredible man Jan Karski was. As a matter of fact, my daughter-in-law got her Masters degree from Georgetown. I need to ask her if she's seen his statue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE William's taste! If I lived alone, I'd find and buy those sheets, and if we didn't have a mini-zoo, I'd find a buy a rug like that.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Encouragement.

 You know, a profound thing happened this morning, before I even got out of bed. We have a pretty nice relationship with our tenants. 3 of t...