Thursday, March 2, 2023

Visitor

We had an errand to run this morning, which was good because it got Tim out of the house. He really has quite a case of cabin fever, I think, but he's trying not to mind. He really is doing a lot better now that he's sleeping. 

This evening there was an unexpected knock on the door and it was our old buddy Ray. We brought him in and we blabbed on the couch awhile. He said, "Well, it is time for me to mosey back up on the hill." He also said that he was pretty mad at himself. He'd gotten a hankering for some cornbread last night, and that he whipped up a Jiffy mix. It must have been outdated because they didn't rise. He'd meant to pick up another box while he was out during the day, but he'd forgotten.

"Ray!" I said incredulously. "For pete's sake!" 

He looked embarrassed at his absentmindness. 

"No! Not that," I said. "Cornbread is easy enough to throw together." I went to the kitchen and started grabbing stuff from the cupboard. He followed me out, looking a little shocked. It took me 10 minutes to mix it all together and scrape it into a pie pan. I popped it into a 400 oven and said, "You'll have to wait for 25 minutes." 

"Do you ever think how much money you'd save on groceries if you stopped feeding everyone?" he asked. He and Tim settled in to jawjack a bit longer. I used the time to put my kitchen back to rights and do the dishes that I had not done after our supper. Ray was watching hungrily when I tested the cornbread and then pulled the pan out of the oven. "That smells so good." 

I covered it in foil and wrapped it in a towel to keep it hot for the trip home. I also popped some sausages in there and told him to cook a couple eggs to go with it. 

He headed down the driveway with his piping hot cornbread like he was holding treasure. 

22 comments:

  1. Ray had a good feed tonight. I'm sure it was deeply appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can make cornbread without a Jiffy mix? I don't even think my grandma could do that, and she could make anything...🙂👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I've never made it with a mix. The recipe is on the cylinder "box" of yellow corn meal. If you have those ingredients, and fresh baking soda or powder that's not out of date, it's a breeze. I put cheese in mine. Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    2. I grew up in Southern Illinois and had never heard of Jiffy Mix until I moved to MIchigan. The Jiffy factory is about 20 miles from me where they make all kinds of different flavored mixes for cake and other goodies. I like Jiffy cornbread but am not averse to still making it the old way from scratch since I can cut back on the sugar by half to suit my southern tastes.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good day for everyone! How sweet to send that man up the hill with a lovely meal. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good cookery and life lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that we who know not how to throw together cornbread should be able to get your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ray has a point! But I can't see you stopping anytime now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done you. Not something folk make in the UK, but I guess it's simple enough. Well done you for sending Ray home with a good meal. I bet Tim enjoyed the chat too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish there was a smellavision app for your blog post today Debby. It sounds wonderful and no doubt tastes it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's rather nice of you. I am not keen on corn and I have no idea what cornbread is but I note you can make it in half an hour and no yeast is involved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whipping up anything like that impresses me greatly. Jawjack is new to me, but I didn’t need an interpreter. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good neighbour and good friend I would say. Thank you for your letters - glad Tim sounds to be such a lot better. Wish I could write back but by the time it gets to tea time I am too tired to type and my handwriting is unreadable now because of my shakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He WAS holding treasure. How nice of you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember buying a loaf of cornbread in our local bakery to serve to our visiting US friends. They said it was nothing like their cornbread so I don't know how ours differs. (They said ours was a softer texture and tased better but they were probably just being kind).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like there are some serious benefits to being a neighbor of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cornbread is one of those things I can make blind in my sleep. But I have to tell you that the Jiffy type is delicious. I don't think I've ever made it but I've had it. It must have a ton of sugar in it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wouldn't have been able to do that. How nice of you to send him off with warm cornbread. How nice of him to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have homemade cornbread probably once a week. I don't care for the Jiffy Mix; it's sweet and fluffy like cake. I make cornbread in a cast iron skillet, and whatever is leftover, we eat as corn bread and milk for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like I should visit your house with a sad story and then i might get something cooked. You're very good hearted.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I wish I was your old buddy! I wouldn't begin to know how to throw together cornbread without Jiffy mix.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seldom bought any mix. Single mothers can't afford it.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

It Came to Blows.

 It was bound to happen at some point. I was using a swing stapler to staple the insulation against the bottom of the roof trusses, and I wa...