Saturday, March 4, 2023

Saturday

Tim drove to Erie today. It was the farthest he's driven since everything happened, just over an hour. William had some time at a trampoline park and we had lunch at a wood fired pizza place. We stopped at a big city thrift store while we were leaving town. 

I bought two long sleeved t-shirts, a dress blouse to match a sweater, and a shirt for William. Much to Tim's delight, he found a keyboard. It's like the fourth keyboard that we've had for this computer. We've had an annoying problem with the letters wearing off our keyboard. It doesn't matter to me, because I am a touch typer, but for a hunt and peck fellow like Tim, it's a supreme handicap. We've tried various paints but nothing seems to stick. Tim got a nice microsoft keyboard for 99 cents and it made his day. 

My exploring time was pretty limited. Tim was wearing out. On the way back to the car, he handed me my keys. I drove home. He slept in the car. 

He's been sleeping a lot better at night. At this point, he doesn't even always need the bottle of beer, so that is good, good news. He usually gets a good nap in the afternoon as well, and it makes all the difference for him. 

My sister drove to Pittsburgh last night to pick up her husband. He was flying home from the Dominican Republic where he'd gone with a group to build houses. Unfortunately, his plane had engine trouble and he got stuck for an extra day. Anna messaged me, and I said, "Well, if your plane has engine trouble, it's best if this is discovered while the plane is on the ground." She agreed. Dave got a free night at a resort in Punta Cana. Anna had to pay for her room in Pittsburgh. I'm sure it was nowhere near as fancy. But all's well that end's well, and they are on their way back home.

Tonight, Houdini surprised me. I was stretched out reading. He came over to the couch, studied me for a while, and then jumped up to stretch out beside me. I petted him for a while and then went back to reading. Unhappy with this, he climbed up on my lap, stretched himself out in a lazy way, and fell asleep. That was a first. 

Know what else was a first? I saw snowdrops blooming today. It was cold and gray, but there they were! What a cheerful sight!

32 comments:

  1. 99 cents for a keyboard. Wow. Like you I touch type but I can't for numbers very accurately and anything beyond a full stop or comma, I have to check.
    How different is Houdini to when he arrived. Remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. He's sitting on a footstool right next to me this very minute, purring away. I really think the turning point was when the house was empty while Tim was in the hospital, and I was with him, and William was away with his aunt and uncle. He had days to roam the house. My daughter stopped in to give him food and water every evening. I think he got comfortable in the house. At the same time, he got lonely. When the alarm goes off every morning, he runs upstairs to greet us.

      Delete
  2. Glad Mr. Tim is up for adventures but understanding his limitations. Of course, anybody drinking beer maybe should turn over the car keys. (Just had to say that.) Glad the medicinal beer is helping. What a lovely advanced step with Houdini! Will he pose for a photo? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a positive day all round, especially with Tim driving further and delighted with his bargain keyboard! Whilst Idon't have very long nails, I notice that the e, s and d keys have had the surface chipped from use. More annoyingly the space bar sticks.

    Houdini has certainly turned a corner - he obviously had time to realize that the house wasn't harbouring any nasties and that actually, it was lonely without his humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think that being in an empty house for 5 days and being without 'his' human for 2 more did make his heart grow fonder.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a very productive day and you have got a friend in Houdini.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another Good News day. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue also tends to eradicate symbols on her keyboards. I uses it is a body chemistry thing. Fortunately, she is a touch typist. I am anything but. However, as I sit and regard my old tablet keyboard, everything seems pristine.

    That cat has come a very long way. Except for that one time in 4 years, Lacey has never slept on me, and I am quite happy with that. We give each other 10 minutes. Then I give her a treat, and we are both happy to part company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the weight of a sleeping cat. It's comforting to me, like a furry, purring, weighted blanket.

      Delete
  7. We both have had some progress with our shy kitties. Last night after I turned out my bedside lamp, I felt Timmy jump up on the bed. He cautiously walked up to me in the semi-darkness and sniffed my hand which was laying on the blanket, then backed off and laid down about 18 inches from it. I dared not move a muscle for fear of scaring him away but after having had him since January 2022, this is a major step. Such small steps. Tim seems to be improving on a daily basis also, and I am sure you are thrilled with that. Good for him and best wishes for more of the same, for Tim, Houdini, and even for my Timmy, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very sweet moment with your Timmy. I've forgotten. Do you have other cats? I often think Houdini might have adapted more quickly had he the example of other cats. But compared to your Timmy, he's made great time. It's only taken us four months to reach this point. If I might ask, do you have any idea how old your cat is? We're estimating our fellow to be about 10 months old. He began showing up with his mother and siblings at a tenant's house last year.

      Delete
  8. All of this is lovely, lovely news. I think sometimes that insomnia can be a ruthless cycle and if the cycle is broken, sleep can be had again but it's hard! Our brains are so weird.
    As are cats. But we need them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would add, so am I...but I hope that there are always people to need me!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like Tim is making good progress. What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. Things are really pulling together now that he is rested.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful news all around! So glad to hear of Tim's improvement, a wonderful day spent with William, Houdini's major strides forward, and the appearance of snowdrops. Stay safe & well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After looking at everyone else's spring blooms, it was a wonderful treat to see them with my own eyes!

      Delete
  11. Life is good when you get to thrift stores. Good that Tim is making some progress, I hope he gets back to normal and it looks like he is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a good day! Sending hug and best wishes🤗 xo, Ricki

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darn! I was typing and it disappeared. Anyway, I was saying that's a huge change for Houdini. 99 cents? That is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. He spends very little time in his bed the days. He hangs with his peeps.

      Delete
  14. Houdini is now officially a proper house cat!
    Great news that Tim is improving and that he also knows his limitations.
    Snowdrops. I miss them. We don't get proper ones here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the part I am most appreciative of. I hate being the nag. I am grateful he knows his own limits.

      Delete
  15. I hope Houdini is telegraphing Kitty. She's trying.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The letters are worn off my computers keys too, but like you, I don't care because I know which keys are which. Still, 99 cents is a great deal for a keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of the most useful things I ever learned in high school was to type. It has saved me probably weeks of time over the years and gives me the freedom to type nearly as fast as I can think something up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Progress all round! A good day

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Weary

I am sure that everyone has seen the video of the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. I lived in Baltimore for a couple years while my...