Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Questions

 I got questions. Why is it that when natural disasters happen, you always have the folk that want to cry: "That's God punishing us for not inclining our hearts to Him" but then when you have something like, say, a 5000 mile long blob of seaweed heading towards Florida, the land of Righteous Indignation, home of the American Taliban, we hear....crickets

Just one of those things that I always wonder about. 

And another question I've got. Why is it that when you buy tickets on line for anything, a convenience fee is added? I bought $80 worth of tickets to Jurassic Quest, and at checkout, $22+ was added to that money for a 'convenience fee'. What convenience am I paying for here? I had occasion to actually ask that question of a real live person. I bought the three tickets on line, paid the 'convenience fee', but then had a problem. I couldn't place the order without setting up an account. I was on my phone, and when I entered my e-mail address, I 'fat-fingered' an extra letter in, without noticing. 

So I called, and the woman explained the problem to me. "Okay," I said, how are we going to solve this?" I did not get the confirmation e-mail with my tickets to be printed out. To mail me the tickets was an extra $5 each. 

"Lucky I paid a convenience fee," I said. "It just seems as if you have a responsibility to keep this convenient for people who make stupid mistakes." 

They did, but they were not happy. They told me that they would do it "just this once". I presume that means that I am now exempt from any further convenience fees, seeing as how they are assuring me that there will be no further conveniences offered. 

And another thing: how do you pronouce 'pieces'? Mr Shife has troubled my mind

Another question. Whenever I shake out a fitted sheet, I always seem to find one of William's socks in it. Why is it that this sock never matches any of the socks I have in William's pile of unmatched socks? It just becomes one morelone sock to add to that pile. It's just a thing that I noticed, another befuddlement in the mind of an already befuddled woman. 


The big question: "Will Trump be arrested?" He says he is going to be arrested on Tuesday. Social media is abuzz. THE ANSWER IS NO!!!! Of course he won't. He's rallying his base once again. If you had any doubt about his incitement of January 6th, well, open your eyes people. He's doing an encore right here before your very eyes. 



In case I am wrong, I will do a bit of a happy dance. 

At no charge. 
No 'convenience fees' added. 

Update: Louie, the cat is living comfortably inside the neighbor's house. The vet-who-is- not-a-vet made a home visit. She found no broken bones, although he does have broken and loose teeth, which accounts for his difficulty eating. He has an eye infection. No mange (which I did not see either). She left a supply of soft cat food, antibiotics for his eye. He will need to see a vet, but for right now, he's resting quietly and comfortably. She sent me a picture of him stretched out on her couch, sleeping. 

Remember the former owner responded on the original facebook post saying that she'd left the cat in the care of her sister, but that the cat was afraid of the dog? Interestingly enough, the neighbor has a dog as well, and they get along just fine. 


27 comments:

  1. Hmm...cat didn't like THAT dog?
    Ah, the Sock Eating Monster!! Every house has one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it was more the dog did not like the cat? I just don't understand this sock situation. William's clothes go directly from his body to the washer. It's the oddest thing.

      Delete
  2. Normally it is the duvet covers that traps everything. Mr.Shife made me dizzy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get me started on fees. We are charged a credit card fee to book tickets like you have booked, but not as high price as yours. Never mind that you may use a debit card, which costs businesses less in bank fees. At least they don't have the cheek to call them convenience fees. How many people would be able to pay by cash to avoid such fees. Now every tin pot little business is charging a credit card fee. I haven't used cash since the beginning of Covid, except for a tip to my occasional masseur if he pleases me. Cash costs businesses more for collection etc and is more likely to be stolen in some manner, yet they can conceal income better by using cash. Convenience or credit card fees need to be built into the price of whatever you are buying, especially now as here about 80% of even small purchases would be made using a card.

    'Reese's Pieces'? Either I am missing something or it is an accent thing. I would say them the same.

    Ninety per cent of the world would love to see Trump gaoled. I am disappointed to know you think he won't be.

    The Sock Eating Monster dare not enter our home. Sherlock Holmes sleuthed out a missing sock, behind the washing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it seems to me that there should be some convenience in return for the convenience fee. If you call and order the tickets, the 'convenience' fees still apply, plus you pay $5 a ticket to have your tickets dropped in the mail (an eye watering $37 and change uptick in your total, over 33% increase.

      Delete
  4. We shall see about the tRUMP. I have seen photos of fences being erected and all police being ordered to wear full uniforms and not civies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make my day. I just don't believe it will happen. He's a pretty slippery charactor.

      Delete
  5. I'd like to hear how that guy says pieces the rest of the time. I fear Trump will never give up, and neither will his followers. How will we get rid of him when there's no decent alternative. I'm not really happy about everything Biden has done, but if it's a choice of Trump or Biden, I'll vote for Biden again. ANYBODY but Trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. Unless of course, tRUMP loses the Republican primary and DeSantis runs. Then it will be anyone but DeSantis.

      Delete
    2. I'm with you there too. I sort of liked Pete Buttigieg, but I'm pretty sure no gay man would even get the votes to run.

      Delete
    3. I like Buttigieg too, Donna.

      Delete
  6. I do not see how anybody can support the man. Listen to his recent remarks on Putin. Crazy. The man's crazy as a loon. You cannot simply, as an American president, appease a foreign aggressor by telling him he can have part of another country. He thinks that he can do so, because he did so in Syria. What he forgets is that he pulled back American troops to allow it to fall. There are no American boots on the ground in Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting questions. Convenience fees should not be allowed. But then they'll just raise the price. Nobody wants to touch Trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you are right. The prices would go up. However. at least it would be honestly done.

      Delete
  8. All good questions, Debby! I think I read somewhere that Biden is trying to get legislation to stop all those added fees. Of course, you know who in the House will probably put a stop to that.
    I didn't quite get the pieces joke as I think it is said the same way.
    Ponder on, Debby! You've got us all thinking and wondering! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to be very interested in how the man pronounces REESE's.

      Delete
  9. I'm not sure what you are referring to in your first paragraph. The only American Taliban that google produces is Lindh and he was from Washington DC.

    The blob of seaweed though has my attention. I've heard Barbados is hauling 1500 dump truck loads a day to keep the beaches clear. I can't imagine how much that equals for something the size of Florida and where the heck are they putting all that seaweed? How have I never heard about this before?

    I love the way you dealt with the convenience fees. This stuff is just getting ridiculous here in America.

    Mr. Shife didn't solve my question. I say pieces and it rhymes exactly with Reese's. Shife explained that he says piece like peace. When I say those words, there is no difference other than the context of the surrounding words so I'm more intrigued than ever how he says pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Taliban = a religious group trying to insist that the rules of their religion must be followed by everyone. I am quite sure you understand the reference as it is not original to me. It is happening in a lot of states right now, and it is wrong. We were a nation founded on freedom of religion, and this means, whether one likes it or not, that people are going to hold different beliefs. Our responsibility as a nation is to support their right to do so, not strip the rights away because we feel differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly missed hearing that reference until now but I'm pretty sure I understand what political statement you are trying to make.

      Delete
  11. When the seaweed hits Floriduh I'm waiting for the screams of "It's Biden's fault!" You know they will come. Re: Trump, I have hope, but I fear the reality will be something else.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was growing up (near Detroit), I often heard Reese's Pieces pronounced as Rees-eez Pees-eez. I don't know where Mr. Shife lives but I'm assuming this is the pronunciation he's referring to. Hope that helps you sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr Shife lives in Idaho and we PNW people pronounce piece and peace the same and Reeses Pieces rhymes. He will need to explain this further! The American Taliban is at "work" deciding on women's rights, books, the right to protest, drag shows and everything else they can get their hypocritical hands on. Like freedom itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Midwesterners also pronounce piece and peace the same, it's just when "pieces" is combined with "Reese's" that all hell breaks loose. I always wondered why people said it that way, so I thought it was funny to see the topic brought up here!

      Delete
  14. Those socks are in a pillowcase somewhere. That's my guess. :)

    I don't understand the Reese's Pieces thing at all. Don't those words rhyme? How else would they be pronounced?

    I'm glad you socked it to the ticket providers over the convenience fees. Isn't the government looking into whether Ticketmaster is a monopoly? Hopefully such ridiculous fees will be a thing of the past if there's more competition in the system. (I have no idea whether your tickets came from Ticketmaster but no doubt their fees influence the rest of the market, too.)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today, I felt like I redeemed myself somewhat for my failure with the swing stapler. I am about an hour away from having the upstairs fully...