Monday, March 13, 2023

Huh.

 William has accumulated enough clothing that the little dresser that came with his bedroom outfit is just not big enough. I pondered around how to solve this problem and came up with a solution. In a closet of another spare bedroom, there is a a tall dresser that belonged to my grandmother and grandfather. I am not at all sure how it came to be in my house. It must have come from my parents at some point, but I don't remember exactly when. It is old and plain and matches his sturdy plain bedroom outfit (inherited from his aunt).

The best part was that while it had the same 'footprint' as William's little dresser, it was much taller and would easily hold double the clothing. The old fashioned drawer dividers would allow me to separate his underwear from his socks, and still have plenty of room for his PJs. An entire drawer for longsleeved shirts. Another for shortsleeved shirts, and an entire drawer for blue jeans. It was perfect. 

Well.

Except for the fact that it was currently stuffed with hunting clothes. I was pretty sure that Tim hadn't actually looked inside that dresser for years, so I made up my mind that we would go through it and then swap the two dressers out. 

I got Tim to help me move the dresser into the front hall upstairs. I began to empty it out. The top drawer contained papers. The paperwork for when we bought the boys' house in Williamsport where they went to college. Saved us a fortune on tuition. Both boys are in their midthirties now and that house was sold when they graduated. Taxes from 2000 - 2004. Check receipts from an account we closed out long before we ever moved into town, and we've been here for 11 years, probably longer. Old cords that went to things that we probably haven't had for years. We found ourselves squinting at cords and asking questions like "Motorola? What did we ever have that was a Motorola?" 

Yeah. Quite a bit of pitching out. I don't think we kept one thing. The paperwork made a happy glow in the fireplace. 

The other three drawers were also amazing. I found no less than 8 knit caps. I cannot tell you the number of times that Tim has wondered where all his knit hats have gone. I looked at Tim. "Huh," he said. 

Long johns. New long johns that his thrifty wife had obviously bought him at end of season while they were on sale. They were still in their store packaging. Lots of long johns, tops and bottoms. I looked at Tim. "Huh," he said. 

I think that he was getting a little embarrassed at himself. I pulled out two pair of fleece lined jeans. "Those are too warm," he said. "I prefer the flannel lined jeans." 

I started a stack of clothes to be taken to the Goodwill. Continuing on, I found a hooded sweatshirt he was pleased to see. 

I found a pair of hunting pants. He said, "I'm pretty sure those don't fit," but he ducked into the bathroom to try them on and came out to drop them in the Goodwill pile. 

I found a gas mask, an old army issue gas mask with unopened filters. "For pete's sake, Tim!" I said. He said nothing at all, but snatched it up to squirrel it away someplace else. 

There were trigger finger mittens and leather gloves. Multiples of everything. A veritable treasure trove. Tim went through and picked what he wanted to save. In the bottom drawer, I found the real treasure however. There were nearly two dozen pairs of wool socks, some of them worn, some of them brand new. It was astounding. 

I looked at Tim and Tim cleared his throat. "I don't like wool socks," he said.  

I said, "Well, you might try telling people this bit of news." I was probably looking at several years of Christmas gift giving.

However, this wasn't really a bad discovery, because you know who likes wool socks? Me. I like them quite a lot. I was in my glory. There is nothing more wonderful than nice wool socks for padding around a house with hardwood floors in the winter time. Oh, the joy of socks! I began sorting through this treasure with real enthusiasm and wound up keeping a dozen pair. The rest went in the Goodwill pile. 

(Nobody needs two dozen pairs of wool socks, not even me.)

(But then nobody needs a gas mask either, yet here we are.)

Not being in a mood for socks, Tim wandered off downstairs. I polished up the old dresser and slid it into William's room on a throw rug. I moved it into place and transferred everthing out of the little dresser into the new supersized dresser. The long johns and knit caps left over from Tim's hunting stuff fit into the little dresser with room to spare. I slid that dresser back into the spare bedroom closet and shut the door. 

William wandered upstairs later to work on his Lego. Uncle Dylan and Aunt Brittani gave him a 2500 piece set for his birthday. It's for ages 18+. He's working on it one pouch at a time and is hopeful to complete it before his 18th birthday. 

"That's a nice dresser," he commented. I enthusiastically showed him how easy it would be to keep his clothing organized and easy to find. "Huh," William said, in an uninterested voice.

I gathered up a dozen pair of wool socks and headed into our bedroom to put them away. 12 pair of bulky wool socks take up quite a bit of room in a drawer. 

Suddenly the dresser in our bedroom is no longer big enough. 

"Huh," I said. 

44 comments:

  1. Funny and very nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debby, you made me laugh out loud with that gas mask! Thanks for the chuckle and I'm glad William got a new dresser and I'm glad you got all those cozy warm socks ☺️๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice I made you laugh today! Hope you are feeling better.

      Delete
  3. That's great! Now you will clean out your dresser too. It's the domino effect!
    I remember one of my sons has a gas mask and it's been used as a part of several Halloween costumes. So William might use that gas mask for Halloween! (There are some gas mask scenes in Stranger Things!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already DID clean out that dresser, sadly. We moved to one of the upstairs bedrooms so that William wasn't on the second floor alone. That dresser had one drawer of -argh!- hunting clothes. Another drawer was filled with my youngest's life collection of t-shirts. I cleaned that all out and brought half our clothing from our regular bedroom.

      Delete
    2. I made a quilt for one of my son's out of his old tshirts. It turned out so cute!

      Delete
    3. I have been considering this...it would be quite a thing to get the UK.

      Delete
  4. And I thought that I had a lot of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like our house. I am always collecting stuff and find it difficult to get rid of items I seldom or ever use. Half read books ๐Ÿ“š especially. Perhaps we are Hoarders? I can't wait to go to carboot sales again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, that is a great idea! I'll have a carboot sale!

      Delete
  6. Haha. Now what to do! You've certainly been a wonderful and conscientious consumer over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now that he knows where his hat and long johns are, I imagine they will see a lot more use.

      Delete
  7. hyuk hyuk hyuk hyuk hyuk (that was a chortle). Very well written, Debby. Paperwork is my sticking point. Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit to throwing papers away behind tim's back.

      Delete
  8. Great post!
    And if anything describes the results of long-time cohabitation, this would be it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huh! Good post. I figured you'd have a nice wrap-up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post! And all those wool sock..! I knit my own and won’t wear anything else all winter! You’re taking such good care of your William, he must love staying with you๐Ÿ˜ Xo, Ricki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived closer I would be on your doorstep with knitting needles and yarn, begging for lessons.

      Delete
  11. So you played a nice trick on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha - full circle then! Glad you got to inherit some warm and useful socks, and Goodwill is going to do well out of your clearout. . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't like short stories but if you wrote a book of them I'd read them. Great post and lovely chuckle in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You found the treasure chest! Lined jeans? Unheard of here in Australia. I have seen lambswool lined jackets though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me quite interested in doing more looking.around.

      Delete
  15. That sort of thing really sneaks up on all of us at some point in our lives. Although not as bad as Tim, I'm pretty bad with clothes. I obtain them much easier than I get rid of them. I have been known to fill up several trash bags every few years and donate them to Goodwill, including gift clothing that I have never worn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I like a good pair of wool socks, especially Darn Tough brand which lasts forever!

      Delete
  16. I quite like your sense of humour! This is a great piece! "The paperwork made a happy glow in the fireplace. " You are a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A LOT of paperwork that used to be important.

      Delete
  17. If the gas mask was from WW2, that'd have some value for the military surplus store. My son used to love getting his new supply of "fluffy socks," each Christmas. He learned about using thin liner socks, then wool socks for camping with Scouts. Save some for William! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delightfully written. I think we all recognize ourselves!
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh gosh! I suppose I should start cleaning up our drawers, etc. too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oops! That was me, Kay of Musings. I forgot I come in as Anonymous when I use my iPad. I really do have too many plates, and kitchen stuff that I need to donate. Sigh…

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Laughs

 It was a day of getting ready to go, getting everything packed up. We are headed east to see Iris' ballet recital.  I picked up some la...