Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Spring (temporarily)

 It was so windy today. 

The clouds cleared off and I learned that I was wrong about the weather. It is going to rain tomorrow, with thunderstorms tomorrow night. 😕

Tim got a couple hours of sound sleep and woke up refreshed enough to go work on his truck. I decided to work in my garden. I'm taking a breather on the garden while making a plan for next year. We are having a problem with blight, and each year the garden gets a little less productive. So we decided to turn it into a berry patch. I moved four blueberry bushes that did not see to be happy where they have been for the past two or three years. I planted raspberry canes as well. 

It was so warm, and the wind was blowing so hard. A tree had blown over in our woods and you could hear the branches cracking and falling in the wind. Not a day for walking in the woods for sure. 

I dug and I planted, and I couldn't help remembering Winnie the Pooh:


That got me to thinking about when the kids were young. Winnie the Pooh was the first book I ever read to them. Fresh from their baths, we'd all pile on the bed and read a chapter or two of Pooh before they went to bed. They loved those stories. 

And now I am a grandma. The grandchildren love those stories too. 

I worked in the dirt and the sun and the wind and time traveled in my mind. 

When I was done with my digging, I walked back up to the garage where Tim was working at his truck. He wasn't having a lot of luck. The bolts were tightened way beyond what a reasonable person would have done. But he was working at it, pondering and problem solving. Things like that would piss me off, but he does love a challenge. He leaned against the garage door with a smile. He wanted to keep on working. 

I had seen my sister's car in her driveway, so I headed off in the warm wind for a visit, thinking about Tim and the last three weeks. I know full well that not everyone gets their happy ending in situations like this. 

My sister wasn't in the house, but I took off my sweater and headed back to my house in my shirt sleeves. The walk was not wasted. 

It got up to 68 degrees today. Tomorrow it will be cooler with rain and that possible thunderstorm. By Friday, we will return to winter. Spring is coming though, and today I got to play in the dirt. 



24 comments:

  1. Playing in the dirt is excellent therapy for life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Eeyore depression moments for you two Debby. Love the video. Good luck with the garden and the truck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None yesterday, Northsider. Of course my house didn't blow over in the storm!

      Delete
  3. What I would give for some of your brief Spring. Even an hour or two would be welcome. My garden is so desperately waiting for me to tend it. I'd never seen the 'sung' version of Winnie The Pooh. It's good to read that Tim is in good fettle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll get there. Spring has come every year for all my 65 years, but every year, I seem to forget that it will, until, of course, it does. I love the old AA Milne books. And it gave me great joy when my son and his wife decorated the nursery in classic Winnie the Pooh.

      Delete
  4. So happy to hear all this positive news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warm weather does wonders for a body, doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. Does your garden get sun? We have found the best way to kill the blight fungus is to do a fall tilling when there is still enough time for the garden to receive plenty of sunshine. Then in the spring, use plenty of mulch to prevent it from splashing up onto plants in the spring. If a plant does get blight, remove all the affected material and dispose of it outside the perimeter of your garden. Doing that, we are rarely affected with blight anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever this is affects our root crops as well, and we have never been able to grow corn. It does get sun. TBH, I didn't even recognize it as blight until I was at a friend's house and she was complaining about her tomatoes and how terrible the blight was. She took me out to show me, and *bingo* I realized that I was dealing with blight too. Last year it really made for sad potatoes. I'm going to try more container gardening this year and go to the Amish auctions to get bulk produce. Next year, I will till a new garden, start small and begin expanding. The current large fenced in garden area will become the berry patch. I've got blackberries, blue berries and raspberries. I want to put in elderberry and a raised strawberry bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My man loves to tinker too. Nothing makes him happier. Well, except for fishing and hunting. I am so glad that Tim is coming back to himself and so glad that you got to play in the dirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see a lot of simiilarities in your Mr. M and my Mr. H.

      Delete
  8. You've got the appropriate word in your caption. at this time we can get very nice weather and then can become winter again but not for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a time that tries our souls. Well. Mine anyways. I am not a patient person.

      Delete
  9. We are supposed to get 4" of snow today in Illinois but so far just rainy and windy...
    Glad you got out to work in the dirt - Spring does raise one's spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a nice day. Here too. Tim seemed so satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I got a triumphant call today. He got those pesky bolts loosened with a torch and got the whole thing disassembled.

      Delete
  11. We had a false spring last weekend. Sunny in the mid-50s and then it snowed on Monday. Hope you get to play in the dirt again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. You probably live no more than 2.5 hours from me!

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Laughs

 It was a day of getting ready to go, getting everything packed up. We are headed east to see Iris' ballet recital.  I picked up some la...