Monday, February 20, 2023

Spam

'Blogger spam' is interesting. About half the comments it flags are from regular commenters who (I'm supposing) are logging in on an unfamiliar device. The other half of the comments it catches are previously published comments. I'm not sure what triggers it to go back in time and pull comments it didn't flag on the first go around, but there you have it. Interestingly, about half of THOSE comments are my own! A couple days ago, I was amused (in an unamused way) that a very obvious spammer had been able to post his very obvious spam comment. 

I mean...really, what is the point of having blogger spam if it does not work? Just one of those things that I don't understand. 

But today was especially interesting. I checked blogger spam, and for the first time, it blocked an actual spam message. I feel like I should be saying "Good blogger!!!! GOOOODDDD!!!!" and maybe offering it a cookie. 

12 comments:

  1. It's all totally random - but there are more proper spam comments getting caught in the last few weeks - thankfully

    ReplyDelete
  2. My spam normally gets caught. I often wonder how the spammer checks so many of my blogs though Debby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had similar thoughts about that spam blogger of a couple days back. Probably the last two dozen spam messages in my spam box have all been my own comments and from old posts. I often wonder if I clicked that I was indeed spam, would my entire blogger existence cease to exist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found the same thing to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This happens to me too. I don't understand why regular commenters go to spam. I generally only comment from my desk top and I know my comments on other blogs can go to spam, so it is not about an unknown device.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always confused when my own comments get filtered to spam. And frustrated when regular commenters go there. I feel there has to be an ulterior thing happening as surely it can't be that hard to write the necessary software!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we only knew about the spam that the Monty Python team joked and sang about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes it works, but I then I have to send it to trash. But I hav recently had your experience of an old comment being flagged for some reason. Now that you have reminded me, I am going to go back and check that proper comments are not in limbo awaiting moderation. Sometimes, I can see them but they still don’t post for John Q Public.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Upon checking 5 good comments were in the Spam trap and 1 actual spam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blogger hasn't blogged any of my posts on my blog .... yet. It certainly misses some spam and it has occasionally blocked followers of my blog. I've never managed to find any logic to its algorithms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yup. Me too. I have to check all the time because it drops regulars into the spam folder too. It has caught a number of actual spam as well though.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Weary

I am sure that everyone has seen the video of the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. I lived in Baltimore for a couple years while my...