Sunday, February 26, 2023

Unexpected Development

 Tim's had difficulty sleeping at night since he got home from the hospital. In the past month, we've tried two OTC sleep aids. Neither worked. We tried melatonin. It didn't work either. We tried those relaxing nature sounds. All that happened is that I woke up at o'dark thirty in a befuddled state, wondering why Tim was showering in the middle of the night. It was the relaxing sound of a summer rain. Tim's side of the bed was empty. I turned off the phone app and went to find him.. 

We've had our tiffs. I caught the man sneaking a Pepsi after 5PM. We debated it. I mean, he's already struggling with sleep...why on earth does he want to make it worse? My sister chided me for being his warden. I don't think I'm doing that, but really, sometimes someone HAS to be the one saying this stuff. 

It is a confusing role to be playing for sure. 

But then, later that night, at 3 AM, he came out to the livingroom. He could not sleep. He defiantly had that Pepsi and....he came right to bed and fell asleep. He couldn't wait to tell me that little factoid. 

I thought about it. They use methylphenidate (Ritalin), a stimulent to control ADHD. My understnading of it is that with Attention Deficit, the brain is overactively collecting stimuli with no ability to set aside the small stuff in order to focus on the the important things. We'd tried everything else. I've read that neuroplasticity is the brain trying to refire, to map new routes. Maybe, like ADHD, a stimulent was needed. 

So. Last night before bed, he drank a Pepsi. He slept for nearly 6 hours. What a relief that is...for both of us. 

Will it work for the long range? I don't know, but last night was promising. 



22 comments:

  1. Hot milk is very good for making you sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim is not a hot milk fan, but it is the tryptophans in the milk that make one sleepy. I pulled a turkey from the freezer earlier. We'll have a roast turkey dinner on about Wednesday or so, when the turkey thaws. Turkey provides those tryptophans as well. We will see.

      Delete
  2. For years, I have taken a pill at bedtime. It’s that or never knowing when I might fall asleep. I would at some point, but I’d never know when, and it’s hard to fit in with the rest of the world like that. It usually grants me 5 hours, sometimes more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a bottle of Pepsi after church and is snoring away on the couch at this very moment.

      Delete
  3. Whatever works, I guess. When does Tim see the Doctor again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sees his Neurologist on May 3rd, after a batch of tests.

      Delete
  4. There's a fine line between speaking up in love (nagging?) and keeping one's mouth shut. It can be a struggle for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you see someone you love taking risks, you would speak up. I guess I see this as no different. I'm not his warden, but I am his wife. Still, criticism always makes me turn that harsh light of self examination on myself. It's how I am. I've always been my own worst critic.

      Delete
  5. I can remember a teacher on a field trip giving a child a Mountain Dew because he'd not taken his meds that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it seems sensible, doesn't it...except that I never expected to use caffeinated beverages as a sleep aid!

      Delete
  6. I can drink strong coffee before bed and it not have any effect, but if I'm worried and anxious - or just mulling something over - then I'll lie awake all night! Jane just hits teh pillow and opens her eyes eight hour later ... if only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be Tim who hit the pillow and slept like a rock. I'm one of those people who take an OTC sleep aid regularly.

      Delete
  7. Thank goodness you have an enquiring mind and can work these things out. It does make sense but how much easier if someone could tell you this. Maybe when all this is done you could write a pamphlet (do they still exist) outlining what you found helped. I'm sure others in your situation would be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was more a stubborn husband who wanted what he wanted. He was craving that Pepsi. Isn't it the oddest thing, though?

      Delete
    2. Sometimes the body craves what we most need. Better stock up on those pepsis - and maybe get a dr pepper or two while you're there, that is the one that always works for me. ;)

      Delete
  8. When I was younger anything with caffeine kept me awake, in the last year or so I find I can now have it and fall asleep. Did caffeine keep Tim awake before all this started? Six hours of sleep is wonderful for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It did keep him awake. That's what is so surprising about the whole thing. He would never drink soda after 1 in the afternoon, because he wouldn't be able to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's funny you should mention this. As Jack gets older, it's becoming apparent, to me anyway, that he has ADHD. No real surprise there, his father has it and so do I. But I did say to my husband, maybe we should try Jack with some coffee in the morning. Glad it helped Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has to be hard on both of you, to navigate this new chapter, I am so sorry. I heard Dr. Gabor Mate say in an interview, that women traditionally are the absorbers and managers of the stresses in their families. He followed that by saying it's why more women end up with autoimmune disease, too. As wives and mothers, it's so easy to focus on everyone else. Sending healing thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had an issue with caffeine either right before bedtime. I'm not sure why as most around me seem to go to great lengths to avoid it. But I have been cutting back on the caffeinated drinks anyway for other reasons. My only complaint as I age isn't about falling asleep but staying asleep. I find myself walking up at dark thirty, thinking about something and finding it nearly impossible to get back to sleep again. I never used to have that problem until a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we MUST speak to our partners. All you can do is suggest and reflect. Sometimes men can be so peculiar about their health!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kay of Musings: My doctor recommended I not take Melatonin long term because our bodies generate melatonin naturally. If we consume more melatonin, our bodies will think we have enough and will generate less. He therefore suggested I only take it when I really need it, short term. Like when I travel or when I have a string of bad sleep nights.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today, I felt like I redeemed myself somewhat for my failure with the swing stapler. I am about an hour away from having the upstairs fully...