Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Alarmed

 The Holter monitor has given us precious little problem, amazing to me, because I put it in place myself and, not being sure of my skilz, I expected to do something wrong. Of course that was also the day that I set the day, date, time, and alarm on William's new watch. The technology force was strong within me that day, and I'm here to tell you that this is a rare occurance. 

Anyway, last night, we got an alert from the monitor. It was one a.m. ONE. O"CLOCK. IN. THE. MORNING. Tim sat up blearily. Although my face was buried in my pillow and I was making half awake noises, had this been an actual emergency, I'd have been ready to spring into action. (Really. I'm pretty sure.)

"What's it saying?" I asked. 

He said, "It's congratualating me on finishing my first week of monitoring." 

Did I happen to mention that this was happening AT ONE IN THE MORNING?!! Because I really feel like it is important to the story. 

The alarm went off multiple times last night. Not all of them were congratulatory in nature. I think the patch might need changed. 

Tim's been putting that off for as long as we can. I read the instructions several times before beginning the process, laying everything that I needed out. Studying the placement carefully. Only when I was 100% convinced that I knew what I was doing, did I begin what I was doing. I forgot one step though. It suggested shaving a small area of the chest where the patch was to be placed. 

Ever positive, I pointed out that shaving would not be necessary after we rip the current patch off. 

31 comments:

  1. I wore one of those after my stroke 2 years ago. They were also looking for affib (found none :-D). Since I do not own a smart phone, I didn't know that it might've talked to me. After 2 weeks I mailed it to a lab and they read the results. Kinda glad no middle of the night alarms. Also glad you are getting a handle on things and that Tim is doing well. Take care... Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The technology seems to have changed in two years. The smart phone is included with the set up, and it transmits the info constantlty to the hospital.

      Delete
  2. Glad it wasn't a real emergency! Wacky technology! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if it had been an emergency, I'd have been ready to handle it.

      Delete
  3. Somebody wasn't on the ball if the thing is congratulating Tim at one in the morning. Apple has been letting me know my schedule for the day every morning at nine, in fact it just did as I was typing this comment. It is very simple programming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny. During our annual CPR training the same thing is said about the AED pads, they can be used to rip the chest hair off and then replace the pads. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch!! Did your setup include an AM/PM option that you might have missed? Perhaps that congratulatory alert should have come at one in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The set up arrives ready to go. All you do is place the sensor. A Samsung Galaxy is the monitor. You turn that on. That's all there is. There is nothing to set.

      Delete
  6. A 1 a.m. alarm would not be good for my blood pressure. Glad it was nothing scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What Margaret just said, ditto 100%! For crying out loud...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was doing something out loud. It wasn't crying though...

      Delete
  8. It went off at 1 a.m. with just a congratulatory message?! That's ridiculous. Definitely a design flaw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Debby you seem in strong spirits - do keep it up my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is time flying? One week already? [sarcasm]Glad it told you... [/sarcasm] Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh for goodness sake! That is ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you sure that the thing doesn’t have AM and PM mixed up to to be dong all that during the night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The monitor is a cell phone. The time isets automatically.

      Delete
  13. Yep, shaving is best, doesn't hurt so much or cause an infection from pulled hairs, AND gives the best monitoring. It's also what they do in the hospital with those 5 or 12-lead stickers, in order to get more accurate readings. Good luck. Old cardiac nurse, Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim is not especially wooly, but it was not fun, even with rubbing alcohol. We shaved the area this time.

      Delete
  14. Do you know what it is like to be a man and have hair ripped out? It's much more painful than it is for a woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and your colds are so much worse...life has dealt you all a cruel, cruel hand.

      Delete
  15. Not a very nice time to be congratulated but you'll take what you can get.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Stubborn

 Today went a lot better. Well...at least no blood was shed. We have begun to install the insulation on the exterior walls and it turns out ...