Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Tim puts on his grumpy pants.

Remember how I'd gotten a new rug? It was one that I wanted, but it just didn't work in the room that I'd bought it for.
Then I got the bright idea to drag the rug out of the library, and put it in the living room, and put the new rug in the library. 

There are disadvantages to having a wife who gets bright ideas. Tim will attest to that. 

While I wasn't totally happy with it, it was better. 

But then last night, I was on facebook market site because don't you know, sometimes people need stuff that I have, and it's nice to be able to offer things up. 

Except 11 minutes after it was posted, I saw a rug. It was a Persian rug, according to the guy. He didn't like it. It was his mother's. He had inherited the house. There were several rugs like these. His sister took a couple. He sold one through an antiques dealer. This one was in an upstairs office that he didn't get around to going through until a couple years after he got the house. He had it cleaned, and rolled it up for a couple more years, but in the end simply decided that he did not want to use it. He was offering it free. I messaged him and said that I'd be glad to have that rug. 


I don't know a great deal about Persian carpets, but from what I'm reading, there is a very good chance that this is the real deal. The guy getting rid of it claimed that it was. It is marked on the back in yellow, but I don't know what the writing means, and I haven't had time to really look into it because this is a huge rug. just over 9 feet wide by just over 13 feet long. What that meant is that not only did I have to move the rug that was in the living room, I had to move furniture in the living room. 

You know how when you move a piece of furniture that has not been moved in a few years, and well...dust bunnies, cobwebs, strange debris. (Please tell me that I am not the only one this happens to.) I spent the day scrubbing and polishing in the livingroom and then Tim helped me roll out the newly acquired carpet. It looked nice. Very nice. 

I looked at Tim cheerfully. "We can put the red rug back in the library." 

He didn't look cheerful but he helped anyway, both of us pulling the brand new carpet out into the front hall and hauling the red circular rug back into the library where it has always been. 

I looked at the rug that I'd just bought on clearance. "You know where we need to put that?" I asked. 

I hadn't noticed that Tim was wearing his grumpy pants.  "Can we do that tomorrow?" 

I said. "Aren't you anxious to see how it looks?" 

From his expression I could tell that he was not at all anxious. 

But he helped me measure, and then we moved the hall tree and once again, I was horrified at the back of it, the floor underneath, etc. Everything stopped while I did some serious scrubbing and then took a magic eraser to the wall behind the dracaena where the pot had left marks. I  scrubbed some more, and then Tim helped me put the rug down with as much grace as he could muster. We moved the polished hall tree back into its rightful place. The potted plant was replaced under the newly polished clock.


I was satisfied. 



28 comments:

  1. Looks great! How much do you charge to do all that cleaning behind and under rarely moved stuff? (Yea, we all have those bunnies and webs waiting until we get to them.) Hubby probably needs a nice treat for all of that cooperation. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He pointed this out! Made some helpful suggestions.

      Delete
  2. Great rugs. Your not only one with the dust bunnies my fridge freezer broke it had stood in same place for 15 years let’s just say I’m glad I’d moved it before they came to take it away and deliver new one. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me feel much better about myself. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. A satisfied wife is a good thing for a husband. The free rug does look like the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, but I'm so ignorant on the subject that I am hesitant to say it out loud. If anyone has an expertise out there, I'd be grateful if you'd message me. This rug is very thin. Not much nap at all. I was a bit surprised to find that these are the most valuable rugs. The fringe at the ends are made from the warp ends. There are no tags on it, just some yellow writing.

      Delete
    2. ANDREW! WHERE IS YOUR BLOG????

      Delete
  4. I hope that Tim's grumpy pants are several sizes smaller than P's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he couldn't get too carried away. He has a bad habit, don't you know. He has a tendency to gather up things from a renovation and put them in one garage or another. He has five of them. And while he is putting stuff away, I always say, "So why are you keeping this, anyway, I mean, really, where are you going to use this stuff?" And he gets very protective of his stuff. And then in the intervening years, we move the stuff. From one place to another. And another. My joke is that he moves stuff 7 times before deciding that he doesn't actually need it. Right now, he's hoeing out one of his garages and splitting things between two garages. He's also throwing things away. He's decided that there are things he's never going to use! I'm so proud of him. So. Changing the rugs around in three rooms is nothing comparatively speaking.

      Delete
  5. I have pondered way more than what is reasonable, how those dust bunnies, etc. get underneath furniture when gravity can't assist them. The only logical explanation is that they are attracted by dark matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious. We probably shouldn't ever move furniture in our lifetimes for fear of being sucked into a black hole we didn't even know was there. I think that I will make this the guiding principle of all housework from now on.

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a beautiful carpet and it's free! Even better. I love that carpet in the front entrance too, it works well and reminds me of Frank Lloyd Wright, the straight lines I think.

    And to answer your question, there are no dust bunnies under any of my furniture, no dog or cat hair, no pieces of lego or hotwheels and there is definitely not any tumbleweeds of dog/cat hair rolling down my hallways:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er...Pixie?...Were your fingers crossed behind your back? I can't believe that he simply posted to give it away. Interesting to me, but we do like it very much.

      Delete
  7. Glad it all worked out so well! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a plot twist to have a nice carpet simply given away. I do love a happy ending though.

      Delete
  8. Sounds to me like a case of 'all's well that ends well!'

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was about to say that Pixie would be the only person in the world to not have dust bunnies but she beat me to it! I had to get down on the floor to fetch something that had fallen behind the tv table. Big mistake! Instead of actually vacuuming the dust an dog hair I think the vacuum head had been compressing it against the wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After this humiliation, I do believe that I will avoid looking under furniture for quite some time.

      Delete
  10. Oh Debby... Love the rugs, love the scrubbed floor (it's beautiful) but as a guy, I have a special place in my heart for Tim right now. Great post! 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like our hardwood floors but I like rugs thrown down on them. 😜

      Delete
  11. Well, that's a lot of work for satisfaction but I guess if you don't work hard there's less satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it let Tim off the hook so he was a pretty happy man.

      Delete
  12. For everyone’s sake, I hope it’s all good for quite awhile. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Today we pulled the 'persian' rug up to photograph the writing on the back of it as well as to caculate the knots per square inch. It is double knotted, which was interesting, and it works out to 13 x 26 or 338 kpsi. Lots of furniture moving and tugging and pulling etc. It is back down and the furniture is back in place. PS: This was Tim's idea.

      Delete
  13. A free Persian rug sounds like a pretty amazing deal. They're very expensive if they're authentic. Bravo to Tim for being patient, even if slightly grumpy. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Weary

I am sure that everyone has seen the video of the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. I lived in Baltimore for a couple years while my...