Monday, April 25, 2022

Jim

Another warm day today, in the mid seventies. I spent the day cleaning an apartment from tippy top to tippy bottom. Tomorrow, I'll finish. I only have to shampoo the carpet and mop my way out the door. George, our new tenant, will begin moving in next week. 

I am finishing up just in time. Tim was working at the other apartment. He walked home for lunch and on his way back, he saw a vehicle in the driveway. He was quite curious. It was our old friend Jim. 

Jim had looked at both apartments last week. I thought that he'd decided against them. It's a hard move for him. He lives in the one room schoolhouse he went to as a young boy, alone since his wife died.  He's lived in the country most of his life. Moving into town is going to be a big change for him. Moving away from his own history is going to be hard too. He's been waffling about it, but had a scary situation this winter which forced him to face the fact that he needs to make some changes. 

So, he's been having yard sales. He's got a huge stash of historical stuff, muzzle loading stuff, books, deerskin clothing, all sorts of historical things. He knows he's going to have to downsize. Tim helped him out buying a brass train whistle, his collection of oil cans, a titanium crowbar and a railroad crossing sign. (I thought we were downsizing too. I guess that I was wrong.) 

Anyways, after pondering things for a week, Jim was back. He decided to take the apartment. We were a bit surprised. 

There's no real rush as of yet, since his house has not sold, so we are not in a crunch. The two bedrooms are ready to be primed and painted. The bathroom is pretty much deconstructed and ready to put back together. The kitchen is done. The laundry room could use a coat of paint. The dining room  is a cosmetic fix. The deck over looking the river is being refreshed. Maybe a month of work, mostly focused in the livingroom. 

I love old Jim, and I am glad that he's taking that apartment. On one side of him lives a librarian, and he's done a lot of library work putting together a local history section. In the other half of the building, there's our Paula, who is active in a local history group for an area that was lost when the Kinzua Dam was built. A big part of the Seneca reservation was taken from the Indians

Johnny Cash sang about it:


Paula is one of the former residents of the town of Kinzua. Another of our tenants, exactly one block away, is another. They are connected to a whole group of former Kinzua residents who lost everything when the government bought them out and forced them to move right along with the Seneca. 

They are excited to have Jim moving in. He's well known in their circle. The bridge crossing the reservoir is named after his great-grandfather, so he has strong ties to the area as well.

Yep. Jim will have no shortage of people to talk about local history with. 

Change is always frightening when it looms ahead, but once he's made the change, I fully expect that he'll be content in his new home. 

37 comments:

  1. Sounds like the ideal renter. I found a solution to the blogger commenting problem. You have to turn off embedded comments in your settings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eep! I can't do that! I just figured out how to enable replies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously!!? There is going to be an old school house for sale soon!!!? Swoon! Might need to move…
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. A sweet little brick place with the cupola. I'm pretty sure that he has the bell.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like it will be excellent and a positive move for all involved, yet change is always difficult. We adapt more slowly as we get older too. That's what I'm finding anyway. I hope Jim will enjoy his new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be, I think. It's just hard to watch someone that you think a lot of dealing with new limitations.

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure if my other comment went through or if you have moderation on. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spam got so bad that I did turn on comment moderation. Probably been nearly a year. The interesting thing is since I turned it on, you want to know how many spam comments I have had? One. Just the one.

      Delete
  6. It will be quite a little enclave of amateur historians. It can be such a relief to get things sorted in your older years and some people just don't look back, historian or not. I am sure it will go well for Jim when the move is made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I hope with all my heart it is like that for Jim. He's only a block away from our house, so we can help him out if need be, but to be honest, he's such a delightful, garrulous old soul, I expect he'll have a whole new circle of friends to socialize with.

      Delete
  7. Your apartments sound more like communities and that makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't work that way all the time, but it's our goal. We really do think a great deal of 'our group'.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a lovely place if Jim will have an overview of a river! They could all get together at times in their newfound area! Maybe worth recording their chit chats. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually have five places with a river overlook. It is a nice river, with otters, beaver, deer and lots of wildlife. There are even bald eagles. We stopped drywalling the other day to watch a blue heron fishing right outside the window. Now there is a goose with her goslings. The former Kinzua residents grew up on the water, and really love being back on it.

      Delete
  9. Very much different to the way things are done in Britain Debby. Testing my comment by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be much interested in hearing how things are done there.

      Delete
  10. Downsizing and moving is hard, but it sounds like he will have good neighbours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get a kick out of them. I'm sure that Jim will fit right in.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like Jim, and your apartment, are both in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, pretty sure that he's not going to be throwing any big parties and playing his music too loud. Of course, if he does, his neighbor will just remove her hearing aids. :)

      Delete
  12. It's great that Jim will have fellow history enthusiasts around! I remember Buffy Ste. Marie singing about the Kinzua Dam in her song "Now That the Buffalo's Gone."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Steve, I never knew that! Off to google.

      Delete
  13. Great song. I remember Jim from 'Taxi'. He was a character and very funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, our Jim's a character too. Different from THAT Jim.

      Delete
  14. Seems like a good fellow. You seem to do well with your renters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly, we are. We've been lucky enough (for the most part) to attract good tenants who stay. I think right now, we've got the best batch ever.

      Delete
  15. I look forward to hearing more about Jim and about the history. Is he computer literate? If so perhaps you could persuade him to open a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he's very computer literate. He does a lot of online work for the local historical societies. He also gives talks and works at the libraries.

      Delete
  16. Oh, that last comment was me. AC. I just realized that is happening on various blogs. What a pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, Anonymous/AC: Your comment is appreciated no matter WHAT you're calling yourself these days.

      Delete
  17. I never heard about that Dam before. Sad story.
    You sound like caring landlords. Hope all goes well for JIm's move.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Unfortunately, there are plenty of stories like that. Our two tenants that were children when the decision was made remember how the government paid for the property taken, but their parents had businesses which were lost. There was no payment for that. Anyone who had relatives buried in the cemeteries were given the opportunity to have their bodies moved.

    A few years back there was a severe drought, and for the first time, the waters receded to the point where, once again, you could see the streets and roadsigns and the foundations of those homes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's making me comment anonymously here, too. I hope the move into town works well for him. After 35 years in the country, I'm not sure I ever want to live in town again. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  20. With all your home renovations of older homes, have you ever experienced anything 'paranormal'? I guess if you don't believe in it, it's a moot point. I've talked with flippers and people who renovate older homes who didn't believe.....until things happened they couldn't explain. I guess we're all looking for that rational explanation. Some of those folks just wrote it off and some had
    second thoughts. Anyway, just wondered. I'm of the school of thought that I have to experience it to believe it. Thankfully, not
    much has happened. I think it's the 'real people' that scare me! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This story is more happy than sad. Dear Jim knew he had to make a change and it seems he weighed the options and picked a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Joanne. Today we were painting, and it suddenly occurred to me. The doors to the bedroom? They are six feet three inches tall. Jim is 6'5". I'm a little concerned about this.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Stubborn

 Today went a lot better. Well...at least no blood was shed. We have begun to install the insulation on the exterior walls and it turns out ...