Saturday, March 5, 2022

Saturday


Today we went to Gainsborough Manor. It was such a perfect day despite a brisk wind. I said, 'so is this what they call a hoolie?' Colin assured me it was nowhere near a hoolie. Something to look forward to, I suppose!



These crooked walls have stood for 600+ years. It was amazing to stand under the roof and hear those old timbers creaking in the wind. The Great Hall seated 100 people.

The kitchen had two cooking fireplaces on opposite walls, one for roasting, one for boiling, 30 feet long at a minimum. On a third wall between them, there were two massive bread ovens.

I have so many more pictures but I know the post will not publish. And as previously mentioned, posting on a tablet is a PITA.

At the Gainsborough church next door, we heard a choir singing. As their voices raised to ancient vaulted ceilings, the moment was so perfect that I could almost believe I had died and gone to heaven.

The most important souls listened with their ears to the foundation.

We finished our day at RuffordAbbey. At the rear you can see the ruins of the Jacobean wing to the right.
The light was gorgeous.
A gate led to a wonderful garden. We had to power walk it since they were a 1/2 hour from closing.
 

When we got home, Cara introduced me to the wonders of a soupmaker. Just add two potatoes, one Swede, a carrot, parsnip, onion and broth with seasonings. 21 minutes later, you have a delicious hot bowl of soup. Perfect end to a perfect day!

15 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful-beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. You can feel the history in such old buildings. I like to see very old worn stone steps and imagine how many people have used them for centuries, all with their own life story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely place to visit. You are seeing some of England's finest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to ponder a second about why the English add Swedish people to their soups. A quick google search told me it was because they are vegetables... also known as rutabagas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A soupmaker? Couldn't you just add all that to a pot and get the same thing?

    Looks like some interesting sights. I love it when the sun shines in the foreground and the backdrop is a gray sky. Makes for great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you had a wonderful day.

    Oddly, "blowin a hoolie" has been on my mind lately. I've been watching too many British mysteries -- yet not enough if you know what I mean. I just can't get enough. BTW, it may blow a hoolie here this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are feeling better and are able to get out and about. What a terrific adventure you are having!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your joy is palpable. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to look up "swede". When I saw what it was, I didn't feel too stupid since it's not something I ever buy anyway.

    Love all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should extend your stay a few days. You are retired and can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soup makers are so good for using up all th bits and bobs left over. Glad you are enjoying your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sure are seeing such wonderful places. I can't imagine every house in the past having an oven and cook area like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate to be a nitpicker Debby but that's Rufford Abbey - not Ruffield Abbey. I was there a couple of weeks ago myself and blogged about it here:-
    http://beefgravy.blogspot.com/2022/02/rufford.html

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

A Better Day

 First of all, I want to thank every single person who recommended 'Puckoon'. Oh my gosh. It has been a long time since I laughed so...