Sunday, June 4, 2023

 

We have walls! Sorry about the crappy cell phone picture. Someone forgot the good camera. I really have to begin making that a habit. This weekend was a pretty easy one, really, sealing the outside of the basement wall, along the base, where it joins the footer. The inspector recommended it. It was simple enough to do, and everyone likes a happy inspector. It will not need sealed inside, because when the floor is poured, it will actually be well above that juncture. 

Today we laid the french drain which didn't take time at all. My sister and brother in law stopped over and then my nephew and his wife and the kids stopped in to blab too. 

We went over to assemble some furniture and put the finishing touches on the house that we have decided to sell. I found a television stand at Walmart that was evidently a style they were discontinued. It was clearance priced at $50. Original price was $197. We bought it for a housewarming present. 


I am not having a garden this year. We just have so much stuff going on that I have (shamefully) just decided I am not going to stress myself out about it. I potted up a half dozen tomato plants and a half dozen pepper plants. I'm going to plant a couple zuchinis and some cucumbers and call it good. Maybe some beans. I'm going to try planting bag potatoes too. I've always wanted to give that a go, and they can fit along the wall in the greenhouse. 

But that's it. Really. 

No more than that. 

Except for my rhubarb. 

But other than that...

This is William's last week of school. We're trying to get things lined up to keep him busy. One thing is to get him enrolled in the summer reading program at the library. He'll go to the swimming pool at least once a week. We've got plans to go kayaking at least 3 times. He'll be doing some traveling, going to Michigan and heading east to spend time  with his aunt and uncle. There will be plenty of time to earn money along with the play time. We also plan to work on some maturity issues. It will hopefully being a learning summer as well as a fun one. 

And there you have it: life at the funny farm. 

19 comments:

  1. I'm so out of the rhythm of the school year! I no longer have even grandchildren in school! It's exciting the walls are up. I will enjoy watching the progress of your build.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a garden to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it will be a busy summer. who said retirement meant not much work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that, the funny farm, but I thought that's where I lived:)

    Must be exciting to have the basement poured, almost. Do you have to wait a week before framing starts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sure seems like a garden to me! I love what you're planting. I bet it's exciting to see the house take shape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a garden! And veges have pretty flowers..
    Building a house with a basement...that's good planning. So few houses have decent storage or larders now.
    Well done on summer planning. Then it can be enjoyed not just done at a panic and scramble!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so amazed at all you get accomplished. I'm sure it will be a great learning and growing time for William as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS: I hope you got my email reply to your question.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your non garden year sounds rather busy with growing things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're making lots of progress Debby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A true gardener. Not going to plant a garden but still has three fourths of things commonly found in a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we all got a chuckle at your not-a-garden garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, that is more of a garden than I have ever had in my whole life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, it sounds to me like you DO have a garden!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Life at the funny farm is busy especially since you are not having a garden but having a garden. Ha. Take care and good luck getting everything ready for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not having a garden this year either - and not stressing about it too - as I do almost every year... ha ha. But then I have the sea on my doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What you're doing IS gardening in my book.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Encouragement.

 You know, a profound thing happened this morning, before I even got out of bed. We have a pretty nice relationship with our tenants. 3 of t...