Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Coming Along

Tim is cold all the time, which is ironic, because he's not the cold blooded one is this family. Reading up on it, they say that this is pretty common in the aftermath of a stroke. I kept waking up and finding him gone, getting up to check and finding him sleeping on the couch with the wood stove going full bore. We have an electric blanket, which I love. It's like having a giant heating pad. He doesn't like it on the bed because it makes him too hot. It has been in the closet for the past 4 years.

I dragged it out and got it set up and plugged in. I am hoping the warmth helps him get a good night's sleep. 

Other than that, we had a very encouraging day. He "did his homework", which is what he calls paying the bills. He didn't need (or want) my help. 

We went to Lowe's so that he could pick up some things he needed for a project. He knew exactly what he needed and where the things were at. He took time to look at the clearance tools like he always does. He bought two pair of Kobalt mechanic gloves for less than $4 a pair, recognizing that as a very good deal. 

He wanted a whopper from Burger King.  He didn't have the appetite to finish the burger than he wanted so badly. I could see that he was wearing down.

We had to pick up the balance of his prescription that was partially filled on the way home from the hospital. I wanted to have some Gatorade on hand and we needed a few supplies. I was trying to hurry but Tim can't rush. He made it though. 

He tires easily and when he's tired, his voice is low, but clear, not slurred. His hand shakes, mostly his right, but at times both. But really, his thinking is pretty darned amazing. I watch him and marvel over the fact that just 6 days ago, he knew I was his wife, but couldn't remember my name. 

I really thought our life as I knew it was done, yet here we are. Here we are. 

Houdini loves when I sit down on the floor and talk with him just before bed time. He loves to be petted and rolls all around on the floor next to me, rubbing against my legs. Tonight after many a pet and a skritch, I stopped and sat quietly with my hands folded. He head butted my arms a few times. Finally, he climbed into my lap and rested his head on my hands.

35 comments:

  1. Ahhh you left me smiling at the Houdini picture Glad Tim in on the mend. So very glad.
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, bless his little kitty heart - he is giving you comfort, and you thought it was the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim sure has been thru a scary time... You ALL have been. Houdini is like your own little therapist. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! What a relief! Thank you for letting us know. You must be so exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have my continued best wishes for rest, peace and strength for you both. And yay for Houdini! Olivia in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who would have thought Tim would have such a good outcome so quickly. Well done to The Cat Whisperer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that Tim is slowly mending and I am sure that the electric blanket will make all the difference to a comfortable night's sleep for him. We've always used one but these days Keith has it on the lowest setting all night. He feels the cold too.

    So glad that Houdini has finally come round and realised you're OK really! Our cats have always known when I'm ill and come and administer "Cat Reiki" . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so very glad to read about Tim's progress. Really very glad indeed. It has been a worrying time for you all but I sense your cautious relief that he is over the worst. XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to hear about Tim's progress - and Houdini's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of Houdini being your own therapist. But happy news that Tim is getting much better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've got a Canine friend in Houdini.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad that Tim is getting there..but as you have noticed before, keep up the hydration. If he isn't so keen on Gatorade, some proper sports hydration products are not so sweet (and coloured brightly!) And do a far better job.
    As for Houdini...well..a changed cat...now he is looking after you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to read Tim continues to improve. Love hearing that Houdini is coming around. Take care.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am pleased to hear that Tim is recovering - and quickly too. I am sure that is a good sign,

    ReplyDelete
  15. For anonymous read Weaver

    ReplyDelete
  16. Taking things slow with sleep in between is the way to go and all sounding hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Houdini magic...escaping 'into' your lives. :)
    May the magic continue to bring healing for Tim and comfort for you.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. With various chemicals coursing through my body I was running hot and not cold. Tim seems out of the woods, and I think you’ve won with Houdini.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy for both of you that Tim is recovering right along.
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  20. The world can turn on a dime and then...turn again.
    Such very good news about Tim. And Houdini too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Keep up the good work, Tim! Glad to hear he is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Petting a cat can be so relaxing, I think a cat knows that and tries to help you when he senses that. Great news about Tim. His mind is so clear. A good woman is a great help to a man and Tim sure has one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great news. I hope Tim is approaching 2023 too. I think last time you mentioned he was still a decade off.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're keeping a close eye on him which is not a bad thing. Both of you had a bad scare but I think it's often harder on the one who wasn't sick. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such wonderful news about Tim! Have to admit, I shed a few tears when I read your last sentence about Houdini. Wishing you all continued healing, peace, and comfort --- you, Tim, and William.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like Tim likes the couch and kitty isn't so fond of the basement anymore! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such good news on Tim, and Houdini as well, he has accepted you as his human, quite the honor.

    ReplyDelete
  28. 🤗🙏 —- “ahhh, it sounds like Houdini knew just what you needed”

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very good news that each day is moving forward in improving things, both with Tim's health and Houdini's affection. Both are pleasing to me as a reader, a fraction no doubt to how pleasing they are to you, the writer. xxx Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good news all around. When my cat Blue rolls around, he wants his fat belly rubbed and scratched.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, Debby. I had some catching up to do. I had no idea that this happened to Tim. I am glad he is home and improving. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm glad you're getting some comfort from Houdini. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Laughs

 It was a day of getting ready to go, getting everything packed up. We are headed east to see Iris' ballet recital.  I picked up some la...