Sunday, May 29, 2022

Getting it done.



(And they are probably doing a renovation.)

The bathroom is completed and put back together with all new fixtures. Yay. This has been a big project, and we've been working hard and long on it. We replaced the big window with a more sensible small window, replaced the drywall. While I painted the laundry room, Tim painted the bathroom. The new flooring in the bathroom went down Friday. Everything else was taken care of on Saturday. 

Monday, I will lay the new flooring in the kitchen and newly repainted laundry room while Tim completes the trim work in the bedrooms and livingroom. After that, the only big thing on the agenda is laying the padding and berber carpets in the bedrooms and livingroom. 

It is hard not to get snappy when you're tired and trying to get things done. We did. 

It bugs me that we agree on a course of action and then Tim just arbitrarily decides to do things differently. So there is that. He also worries about making a mistake. His big worry today was cutting out the holes for the faucet and water controls in the surround. He fretted about it last night as he was falling asleep. I was dancing on ahead about the flooring. He snapped, "The surround is going to take awhile. I need to be careful there or I'll ruin it. Don't rush me!" 

I lay awake in the dark until I figured out how we were going to do it. 

First thing this morning, I set out his tube of Persian Blue machinist dye. To his credit, he knew exactly what the plan was as soon as he saw it. We dabbed just a dot on the pipe for the tub faucet, and the pins that the water controls will connect to, backed the surround against them, and a blue mark was made on the back of the surround. He centered his hole saw on those bright blue dots, It worked quick as a wink and everything fit perfectly. I was very glad that I was able to solve that problem. 

So, the inside will be finished, probably ahead of schedule (June 15th), and Jim can begin moving his furniture in to his new home. We can finish up the back deck while he's doing that. 


After this, we're having some R and R at our poor neglected retirement property, tending to the garden, brush hogging, and (once Tim fixes the dump truck) we'll be able to haul some scrap out. That project can be done on our own time frame, and we can finally work at a leisurely pace and unwind around a fire at night. 

Let summer begin!


26 comments:

  1. I'm glad all is going well, but I'm exhausted from your labors. Maybe if I was younger .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy bees, are you both 'jacks of all trades' I wonder. Relax this weekend and enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We learned by getting into pickles we had to figure our way out of. As the years go by, the pickles occur less and less.

      Delete
  3. Meanwhile - V was talking about finishing painting the bathroom here. We began that project when the little one was 4. (we have done other stuff in the interim, but still)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have plenty of projects like that in our own house Jeanie.

      Delete
  4. You really know how to have a good time, Debby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Party in the potty...should have been there. A crap time was had by all.

      Delete
  5. Why is a smaller window better? I like large windows. I can Google drywall, now along with brush hogging.
    You've made good progress. Sometimes it is hard to see the wood for the trees, as per Tim and the hole cutting, perhaps overthinking it. You could see the wood. Job done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This house predates indoor plumbing. It came along later, and was plonked into a room. That window was an old long double sash with the toilet was directly in front. As a matter of fact you had to reach behind the tank to raise it. Moving the existing plumbing is expensive and time consuming. We put a shorter double sash in, which allows more privacy when using the toilet. It also is easier to open.

      Delete
  6. I usually remind myself that this hill (argument) isn’t the one I want to die on and bite my tongue. Very hard to do though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we are both tired, we have a tendency to be somewhat less than gracious.

      Delete
  7. I am amazed at all of the skills you two have! I wouldn't know where to begin and would mess it up for sure. Congrats on your hard work and take your well-deserved break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We gained those skills by dumbing our way through projects beyond our skill set! We learned the hard way!

      Delete
  8. I feel absolutely slothful when I read what all you're doing. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would choose slothful, did I have my druthers....

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Or as close as we are going to get to it...

      Delete
  10. Good thing you two are retired and able to relax now:)

    Nobody is at their best when they're tired, especially me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Men think round and round in circles. A good woman thinks calmly outside the box and comes up with the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good thinking on the tub fittings! I can't imagine trying to do a project this big with Dave. I feel like we'd be at each other's throats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are winding down. A lot less bickering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Silly me, but I don't define R and R as tending to the garden and brush hogging. But hey, you do you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my time in the dirt! Tim loves his time on his tractor! We do a pretty decent job of being us. (Nobody is lining up to take over being us, so I guess we are stuck!)

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Other Lives

  Sorry folks. I managed to delete a post. I've put it back, but your comments have been lost.   12 out of 12 tomato plants have germina...