Friday, September 17, 2021

Getting Back Into It

Today, finally, this cold/flu/plague has started to ease. I guess the flu is going around. Hopefully no one else will catch it. 

A tenant stopped in to pay rent with her little dog. We visited a while. Tim was eating his supper, stuffed zucchini. This one was stuffed with ricotta, cream cheese, mozzarella and spinach, and baked wrapped in bacon. The little dog was much interested in Tim's supper which made us laugh. I asked her if RB could have a bite of bacon. She answered firmly that he could not, that he was on a serious diet. 

"Poor RB," I said, sympathetically. He never took his gaze from Tim's plate. 

"I know," she sighed. "He hasn't spoken to me since this all started." 

It made me laugh, and when they left, she had to pull him from the house. 

After two days home, I went back to work with my negative covid test in hand, but volunteered to take my breaks after everyone else had come back from theirs in a vector control attempt. (Our desks are six feet apart with shields between them.) They jumped right on that idea.

We have hired new people and our backlog has shrunk dramatically. They canceled overtime for Thursday and Friday, for which I am more grateful than you can guess. 

It allowed me to duck out and get to the garden and pick yet another basket of tomatoes last night. So you know what I'm up to tonight. 

TGIF anyway!

I got home from work today. and sat in my car a minute with the door open, checking for texts. A small cat appeared at the side of the car and looked at me. I've been worried about this cat. It was a young cat with a collar, but somebody must have moved out and left it behind. It is so thin. It is skittish enough that you can't get near it, but I've been worried about that collar. I was relieved that someone had gotten ahold of him and removed the collar. 

I got out of the car, talking to him. He watched me warily from under a truck. I got him some food for the little dish I keep outside. He waited for me to return to the house, before making a beeline to it. Poor thing.

William is coming to spend the weekend. It is his mother's 40th birthday tomorrow, and they have  plans. We have plans too. We are going to bake a birthday cake and have a special dinner for them on Sunday. 

It seems a bit unfair. I just got used to the fact that all my children are in their 30s...and now I've got a 40 year old! Tempus is fugiting all over the place, isn't it? (Note: please don't feel the need for a latin lesson. It's one of my corny expressions, and meant as a joke. Have a good weekend.)


14 comments:

  1. I don't think we've had any 'flu here over winter.

    Family pet dogs always hone in on my mother because in spite of being told not to do it, she secretly feeds them a biscuit or whatever.

    It sounds like it will be a very social weekend. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems very early for flu. In your honor, I just got my shot. Glad you're on the mend. I can't stand people who abandon animals. Poor kitty. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Our lives took a sour note when we learned this morning another of our Filipino family has succumbed to Covid. The gift that keeps on giving and nobody wants it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, Ed. It is a rough time. I will never understand how so many people are convinced this is a hoax.

    My condolences to you and yours.

    Andrew, it's not really a social weekend. My grandson and I will make a cake Saturday, and plan a nice meal for Sunday when his mother and Don come for dinner. A quiet celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear... We need to get our flu shot. It's a pretty scary COVID situation in Hawaii right now. We're also trying to time our Pfizer booster so it is still effective for a trip we were hoping to go on next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My middle child is 40 next month - it shouldn't be allowed!
    Good to hear you have more staff so you don't need to do those long days and weeks so much.
    Have a fun weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you are well again and able to enjoy more family fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds as though that little cat is onthe verge of adopting you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Tempus is fugiting all over the place" shall henceforth be a new expression that I use. I hope you don't mind!

    I'm glad to hear the Covid test was negative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not mind, but be prepared for the lectures. People assume I'm dumb instead of funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like tempus fugiting all over the place, although I doubt many people would get it at work.

    Glad to hear you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 40th anniversary of motherhood! Glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always a little surprised when I remember all of my four are now in their forties and three of the grandchildren are in their twenties!
    thank you for popping in at Drifting.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Other Lives

  Sorry folks. I managed to delete a post. I've put it back, but your comments have been lost.   12 out of 12 tomato plants have germina...