Sunday, August 1, 2021

Tea Party!

 Iris is going to be 3. 

Whenever I go there, one of her favorite thing is to play tea party. She rushes to get a tiny little tea set that I gave her last year at some time to play with. She gets her little dolls (she calls them 'guys') and we play tea party for ever. Tea party amounts to: "I will fix you some tea, Ama!" and I say, "Thank you Iris!" and then I ask for cream and/sugar. She loves that and will pour tea over and over again and giggles every time I drink the tea with much smacking of lips and a hearty, "Iris, you make the very best tea!"

Her mother sent a picture of little Miss Iris chugging her tea out of one of the black stone ware mugs. They were having a tea party. The ordinary mugs were understandable. Her mother has a lovely set of china that was a wedding gift to her mother and father some 35 years ago, and they are much too treasured to have tea parties with her three year old. 

I was looking around Goodwill and I saw a sweet set of china cups with matching saucers. I even got the matching dessert plates, I found a red table cloth that matched. I got white napkins embroidered with red hearts in the corner. I even found a pressed glass vase that had a heart design on it. The tea pot was a bit of a predicament. That's the thing that will cause the problem, being too heavy for little hands to manage. I could see the top falling off, or the spout crashing into the cups and chipping them which would upset her, but I found a silver colored plastic carafe that will work nicely. It still looks fancy but is likely to do less damage. Plus the top screws on. 

The set is sweet and everything goes together so nicely. The beauty of it is that it is that even if she does drop something, it doesn't matter. Another matching cup and saucer can be found in a pretty pattern. It won't matter a bit. 

The last thing I needed was a picnic basket for these treasures. I put an ad on line, and within five minutes I had a lidded picnic basket! 

I cannot wait for her to see them! On her birthday morning, we can get out her little card table and put on the table cloth, and set the china and pick a bouquet of wildflowers for the vase on the table. I know that she will be tickled pink with a tea party breakfast!



13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! My daughters used to love to do tea parties--we had hot jello tea (ugh) and animal crackers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, Debby! You are just the nicest, kindest, sweetest friend a little girl could have. What an awesome idea. My granddaughter's things were all plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea. Enjoy your many tea parties with the delightful Iris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do they have Wendy houses over there Debby? It would make a great Christmas present or Christmas present for your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your granddaughter will be over the moon.

    I read your last post about the crank calls and that would make me nervous too. Creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! Your granddaughter will be so pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a terrific birthday plan for Iris!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You caused me to remember my mother's lovely set of dishes, and I even found my old blog post from 4 years ago. https://anvilcloud.blogspot.com/2017/07/fifteen-paltry-bucks.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to Iris. Sounds pretty awesome and little Miss Iris is going to love her new treasures. Take care and have a good rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous...I love it when the little ones make you a cup of tea. It brings back lovely memories. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely idea for Iris's birthday gift. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet! I love this. Iris is one lucky little girl. Maybe you can share a picture of her with her new tea party set?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not allowed to. As much as I wish that I could, I cannot.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Other Lives

  Sorry folks. I managed to delete a post. I've put it back, but your comments have been lost.   12 out of 12 tomato plants have germina...