Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Good Day

The day started out with the knowledge that I was off work for the morning. The sleep-in felt luxurious.

I was having my morning coffee ant checking to see what the computer world was up to when my friend called. Her dog had been sprayed by a skunk. I often do online research for her. They don't have a computer. I read off a homemade remedy to her, and told her about a product we sold at Tractor Supply. (Nature's Miracle) I like my friends. I like those questions.

I'm excited to get the guest bedroom all set up, but as usual, there's a ton of things to be done before I get to that. Existing furniture must be moved to their new home to make place for the 'new furniture'. I set up a sweet little office space on the third floor landing. I heard Tim's truck followed by a small explosion of excitement from William.

Grandpa had gone archery hunting and got a large doe. The rest of the day was spent processing the meat. Once again we have steaks and roasts and tenderloins in the freezer. William was excited to help, and this led to a long conversation about meat and where meat comes from. William had lots of questions. He wants to go hunting with Grandpa in the worst kind of way. Grandpa told him he'd have to learn not to ask so many questions in the woods first.

It was a busy day, but I was sure glad to be in the middle of it. At one point, Tim and I looked at each other. I said, "We are so very fortunate..." and Tim's answer came back without hesitation: "Yes we are." And William continued to ask questions.

Late edit: That little book went to its new home. The gentleman who signed the book out 54 years ago took it home today.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Perhaps once the freezer is full and the need for harvesting is over the little chatterbox can accompany Tim for a short "hunt". :)

Debby said...

The little chatterbox accompanied his grandfather and his uncle into the woods squirrel hunting. Mike got one gray squirrel. Tim shot a red squirrel for no other reason than they are a very destructive pest. They are too small to be good eating. William fetched the red squirrel up to his grandpa, who tried to explain this too him, but William wanted to bring that red squirrel home in just the worst way. Come to find out, he had plans for it. He had see the head of Uncle Mike's buck in the freezer waiting to be taken to the taxidermist. He wanted the red squirrel's head mounted for HIS wall.

Bush Babe said...

LOL - that needs to go into the main post - or a new one! Too funny. Remember how amazed we were with squirrels???

KarenTX said...

So tickled you found the man who had signed out the book last. That's special! Can't wait to see the new bedroom set up. I love four poster beds. LOL about the squirrel!

Kelly said...

That is too funny! I can picture it all now (including the mount!!). :D

I'm a bit confused about the squirrels, though... In my neck of the woods, the red squirrels are called "fox" squirrels and are much larger than the grey or "wolf" squirrels. Either kind are good eating size.

Glad the book found its home. :)

Kelly said...

And you know what... I think I made up that part about gray squirrels being called "wolf" squirrels! Anyway, here's a link our game & fish had on Twitter recently about AR squirrels: https://m.facebook.com/ARGameandFish/posts/10153704456013234

jeanie said...

Apparently I don't know how to pronounce "squirls" properly for my Californian in-laws - it falls into the humorous (rather than humerus) category...

Lori said...

Our freezer is now full of steaks, roasts, and tenderloin too. Our daughter got a nice doe the first day of gun season, and Thomas got a buck and a doe a bit later. Our fox (red) squirrels are pretty big here too, eating size, unless there is another squirrel called "red" that I don't know of. We have fox and gray, but mostly gray in our area. I love that your grandson is so excited about hunting and that he will learn properly. My husband started off both our kids early, learning that we only kill for meat and that we don't waste any of the meat. We process our own, too, and that was an education in itself. Kids should have respect for the animals that can feed us and respect for the guns and other weapons we use to take them.