Monday, August 3, 2015

It's Forty o'clock

I am so tickled with myself right this very minute.

I like clocks. I like them a lot. I bought a Seth Thomas electric mantle clock with a very interesting art deco type face design which I have never seen before. I wondered if it were from the 20's, but nope. It's a 1940 clock. It's only worth about $50, not much, but it's a pretty little clock and I like it, and besides, I only paid $10. for it.  It kept perfect time, but that thing was annoyingly loud. I was worried that perhaps the gears were grinding and that it would damage the clock over time, so I carefully ripped it apart and began to drop oil onto each individual gear.

Well. I tried to be careful, but I ended up screwing up the chimes. Had no idea what I'd done but I had a very quiet electric clock that kept perfect time but no longer chimed, which was dang disappointing since there is nothing that I love better than hearing a chiming clock. So I ripped it apart again, and observed and fiddled about. Much to my surprise, I fixed it. I now have a quiet clock that keeps perfect time AND chimes on the hour and half hour.

Quite impressed with myself, I found myself studying my 150 year old key wound. That clock has been back to the clock shop twice. TWICE. I spent $150 to get that bad boy up and running. It ran for about a month and then stopped. If the guy at the clock shop wasn't such a weirdo, I'd have taken it back again, but I don't like him.

Anyways, I thought to myself, "Well, you certainly can't do it any harm..." so I opened up the back and I watched. I set the pendulum swinging and then I watched it. I watched what moved. I watched what seemed to be happening as the pendulum slowed and finally stopped. I did a little fiddling with a gear and set the pendulum swinging.

An hour and a half later, I just heard the four clocks chime 10 PM.

I find myself studying my mother's cuckoo clock and wondering.... I certainly couldn't do it any harm...


6 comments:

Kelly said...

You just might have found a new calling in life.

By the way, I have a cuckoo clock I bought in Germany many moons ago that won't work anymore...

KarenTX said...

You might have a whole new career here!! Master clock repairer!! Nice work!

Bush Babe said...

Hahaha - we have several dead clocks around the place here. Shall I save them for you??
;-)

Bush Babe said...

HAhaha - we have several dead clocks around here! Shall I save them for you???
;-)

quid said...

So long since I've logged in!

Enjoyed the fact that you are SO MUCH handier than I could ever be.

quid

ellie k said...

You were so encouraging when my husband had lung cancer and he did fine for three years, it came back in his stomach lining. It was a very rare and fast moving cancer. He passed away Aug. 23. It was in the omentum and spread very fast into his pelvic area. Thank you for the kind words before.