Saturday, November 8, 2014

Tim

This has been an unprecedented length of time away from blogging. Tim is slated for surgery on December 3rd for his shoulder. He's on furlough and although he hasn't gotten his intended 'to-do list' ticked off to his satisfaction, it strikes me that in a way, this has been an answer to a personal prayer for me. Sounds awful doesn't it? I'm not glad in any way that Tim has hurt himself so badly, but the fact of it is that he is a busy man who does not stop. I am a woman looking to ~what?~ not stop altogether, but to make regular stops, to smell the roses, to think, to spend time with my husband, all of those things. I seem to notice a ticking clock that he is not aware of.

Now he has fallen off a ladder. In truth, it was a very small ladder, so small that it qualifies more as a step stool than a ladder. And he has hurt himself badly. Which has translated to this: there are a lot of things that Tim cannot do right now. He is ever resourceful and manages to keep busy with any number of small jobs, but he spends a lot more time a home. 

In that time together, we find ourselves studying each other once again. This morning, I ran my hand across his stubbly face and found myself thinking, 'How long has it been since I just looked into my husband's eyes?' 

Feels like forever. 

He's got another month off on his furlough, and then surgery, which will put him on another three months off. 

I'm looking forward to this time.


10 comments:

jeanie said...

Hugs for you and good health wishes for Tim - enforced stillness certainly gives the opportunity for getting some perspective.

Caroline said...

Quality time with one's love is often underrated. I hope he heals well and isn't in too much pain in the meantime.

Bob said...

Been checking in here regularly and so glad to get an update. I hope Tim sees the positive aspects of this as you do. I'm sure you will help him along. He had a long road ahead of him but everyone I know who has rotator cuff surgery -- that is what he is having, right? -- has recovered nicely. I'm guessing he will be climbing ladders again by spring.

Kelly said...

I'm glad for this update - thank you.

It sounds like things are under control and everyone is dealing with/adjusting to the matter at hand.

I'll continue to keep y'all in my prayers.

Bush Babe said...

Oh this was lovely... like you, I don't wish Tim's injury on him at all, but sometimes things happen. And the silver lining is that it MAKES you stop and take in the good stuff. And there is PLENTY of good stuff. xxx

quid said...

This was so worrisome ... and now that a resolution is in sight, your reaction is perfectly normal. I wish that our lives allowed us to furlough when we are not hurt or sick, but so it goes. Too bad he has to wait so long for the procedure. It'll be rough for awhile, but I'm so glad he is going to treat and recover! Q

Coralee said...

So agree with Quid-- if only we could choose a time to furlough! I believe these 'accidents' are often God's way of reminding us who is in charge. We silly humans so often think it's us :) So glad to read this update and glad for your eye to eye contact with your beloved!

ellie k said...

Hope all is okay, miss your posts.

KarenTX said...

Prayers and good thoughts for a successful surgery and unevntful healing!!

jeanie currently on the other side of the world said...

Hey there Tim and Debby - Merry Christmas and I hope all operations and recuperations are occurring with least pain and maximum quality time.