Sunday, September 28, 2014

LIfe is for Learning

William is adjusting to a new schedule. Preschool lets out at 2. It's a little too late for a nap (unless you want him up extra late that night...), but that is contrasted against exhausted and dramatic meltdowns. Not a fun time to be in charge of William.

After several meltdowns at the playground, I'd had enough. "William," I said in a very no nonsense tone of voice, "it's time to go home. You need a nap."

The screaming became high pitched and prolonged. "Noooooooooooo!~ Don't WAAAAAAAAAANNTTT to take a nap." He stood there stamping his foot, his face perfectly illustrating a temper tantrum.

"Yes," I said very firmly. "Do we throw temper tantrums at the playground? *shook my head sadly* No, William, we do not. It is time to go home." He refused to come. I had a choice. I could have physically picked him up, but I know where his priorities are. I walked over to his bike and began to push it up the hill. He loves his bike, and he wasn't letting THAT out of his sight.

The screaming got closer and louder as he scooted up behind me. I snapped his helmet on, and I helped him attach his bat to the handle bars and off we went, William still screaming.

Once we got home, William made his way to the livingroom still sobbing. "I don't WANT to take a nap. I want to go to the playground..." and by the point, I'd simply given up trying to reason. He climbed up on the couch sobbing mightily, and kicked whilst I tried to get his shoes off. He lay down and nearly instantly, there was silence.

I left him sleep for 45 minutes, and he was a crank pot about being awakened. I tried to orchestrate his day around bedtime. He ate a big supper. After we cleaned up from supper, we watched a few Halloween music videos on you-tube.




William has 1001 books. Almost as soon as he was born, I bought a book of fairy tales, a beautiful book with gilt edged pages and rich and detailed illustrations. I never realized that William did not know the story of the three bears, and he studied the pictures agog with excitement. Goldilocks was finally asleep in baby bears bed when out of the window, William spied the three bears returning from their walk. "Oh NO!!" he exclaimed excitedly. And then he said, "Do we go into bears' houses? *shakes head sadly*" He answered himself. "No," he said. "We do NOT go into da bears' houses."

Life lessons are everywhere.

PS the little booger did not want to go to bed on time that night.


2 comments:

Debby said...

Excuse this. I don't have time to fix the html error. Have a good day!

Bush Babe said...

LOL - little booger. Fast little learner too... tee her!':-)