Sunday, July 6, 2014

July 4th.

We had a busy July 4th weekend. Parade on Friday (video put together by Les Vanderhoof), and then Dylan and Brittani pulled in that night.

We decided to have a bonfire, and Cara said, "Would Tim be mad if we got a couple six packs of beer?"

I was surprised by the question. "No," I answered. "Why would he be?" Tim is a teetotaler but we have always had wine at the holidays, etc.

Dylan got a look of shock on his face. "Well," he said, "things have certainly changed around here!"

I said, "What? What are you talking about? He doesn't care if you have a beer."

And Dylan said, "That is NOT what you said when I asked."

"What? When did you ask about beer?"

And Dylan said, "I was 16, I think."

It felt good to sit by a fire and laugh with my kids.

It felt so good, well, don't you know, we did the exact same thing the next night at my sister's house, surrounded by nieces and nephews. Plus there were fireworks.

It was a great weekend, and I am sorry it is over.

3 comments:

jeanie said...

Happy Independence Day!!!

steviewren said...

I spent time with my kids too. I love being around my adult children. It's satisfying in some way...maybe because it makes me feel like I did my job and they turned out okay so all is well with the world? Or maybe it is just because I like who they have grown up to be.

KarenTX said...

LOL I think I'm enjoying my kids now more than ever. Especially since my daughter gifted me with a granddaughter last October. She is a character and I love every minute I'm with her. Looking forward to my son coming back from Indonesia & Malaysia where he and his girlfriend have been doing volunteer work with the WorkaWay program. It's been a long 5 months!