Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Hard to swallow.

So, Cara has less than 96 hours in country. Really, I've been being pretty brave about it. Praying. Leaving it in God's hands. Etc. etc. I told someone it's like putting on a 'faith face' and praying like crazy that at some point your heart will fall in line.

Been doing okay. Not great. I get those moments where my wheels wobble, but so far I've managed to keep that to myself. Well. Except for when I got sharp with Tim because he wanted to talk about business stuff,  and I. Want. To. Have. This. Precious. Time. With. Cara. I have no choice but to work right now and that is hard, but I can only keep on keeping on, and when I get home, I want to savor every bit of the time we do have. The business stuff can wait for four freaking days. But Tim needs to be told stuff like this. It never occurs to him if I don't tell him. It's just his nature. He is a good man, but the emotional stuff will remain (always) a great mystery to him.

But really, I think that I've done a pretty good job about keeping any fears to myself, other than the night I got sharp tongued with my poor husband.

Today, it hit me. I'm not going to be able to send her letters. I had this idea. Letters were an integral part of it. Sending a letter to Kabul is going to be between $40 and $86.

There's e-mail. And there's e-cards. But no letters.

For some reason that is killing me.

If anybody out there knows how to accomplish this cheaper, I'd surely be interested in talking to you.

12 comments:

ellie k said...

If this is near a military base she needs to make friends with someone there, postage to a base is the same as U.S. We can send our kids packages with those boxes from the post office that have a set price regardless of weight.

steviewren said...

I had no idea it was so expensive. I thought all international postage was $1.15. Why so high?

I hope this next 96 hours is all you want it to be...and no business until later.

jeanie said...

Enjoy the next 96 hours - hugs her heaps and heaps.

Scan the letters and email them?

Bob said...

Praying fervently for you! I think the military base thing is a good idea. Hopefully once she gets there she can figure out some tricks of the trade like that. Be thankful that we have so many good forms of communication now, as you mentioned. But I know there's nothing like a letter from home.

Hal Johnson said...

Thinking of you Debby. Geez, I know this must be a hard time for you. After reading this, I've decided that Dylan can't move out until he's thirty.

Debby said...

Psssstttt! Hal? Don't let him grow up. They just don't pay any attention to your rules after they grow up.

Bob said...

Ain't it the truth! They have the nerve to grow up and have lives of their own!

KarenTX said...

It's difficult! My son and his girlfriend are coming back today from overseas. They have been doing volunteer work in Borneo Malaysia, Malaysia, Indonesia for the past 5 months. We had text and facebook, only one phone call on Mother's Day. But at least I could keep up with them on facebook, photos were a bonus. I am SO glad they will be back on American soil in the next few hours. I've missed the big lug.

Anonymous said...

My son is military and was in Afghanistan for 16 months straight in a very dangerous place, email kept me sane. There were no phone calls or letters as he was in a mountain area and no time to write more then one or two line email. I was just thankful for any news and knowing he was alive at that minute.

ellie k said...

I can mail a letter to Germany for 1.15.

Debby said...

The problem is that each letter goes though customs, and that you have to pay for it to go through customs.

quid said...

After a long absence...read a few of your posts and was shocked to learn where Cara was stationed. My prayers are for her safety and well-being. Don't have suggestions for the letters, but I can tell you that, some 30 years after her passing I still miss my mom's weekly letter so much. Something about words on paper...so solid.

quid