Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Wave

Remember this woman?

I was driving to work this morning, and I stopped at the stop sign at the end of my street. I looked both ways and proceeded. My attention was caught by this woman, sitting on the bench I put there so long ago. I left a couple other gifts, small things, tokens really when I thought of it last fall, but there has been no interaction, no talking, no meeting. I think of her, and then quickly dart over and set a small gift on that bench, and dart back to my own home.

I never thought about it really, and I am ashamed to admit that over the winter, there was no sneaking over to her house, not at all. I continued to see her throughout our long cold winter, sitting on that bench, smoking. She always looks lost in her thoughts.

Today, though, as I drove through the intersection between our two houses, I saw her sitting there, smoking. This time, though, she looked straight at me, and smiled. She waved. I waved back.

Seems like a small thing, but really, it made my day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is why we have days, so that they can be made.
- Bill said that

Debby said...

Bill, that was the most beautiful comment anyone has ever posted. You made my day.

Kelly said...

I'm smiling... at your post and your interaction with Bill. :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your day.
- Bill said that

jeanie said...

Nobody told me there would be days like these - but you gotta hope they will keep on happening.