Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Purple Scarf

Yesterday, I went through the dresser, getting rid of old things that I don't wear, or that are worn out, etc. I pulled out a bright purple scarf, all gauzy and shot through with swirls of gold, and it made me smile. The first time I saw it, I thought of the word 'magic', and yesterday, I thought the word again.

"When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple". The words to that poem popped into my mind, even though I am not yet an old woman, even though I have never worn the purple scarf.

I drape it over my long sleeved black tee-shirt, and I study my reflection in the mirror. The effect was quite good, and I waffled a little, whether to keep it or throw it away, because really, I never wear bright colors, and for the first time it occurs to me to wonder why. And then it suddenly pops into my head that the voice that I have been listening to all these years is not my own.

I return to the task of sorting and discarding. I leave the scarf across my shoulders and I think about that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

SHAZAM!!! Magic and fun go together.
- Bill said that -

Kelly said...

It's never too late (at least for many things).

S. Etole said...

I like the promise of something new in this. Enjoy the purple scarf.

Laura Jane said...

We must always leave room for magic - and scarves don't take up much room.

jeanie said...

Being bland is overrated. Go purple!!! (and thanks for the shout out...)

KarenTX said...

Rock that purple, girl! I find myself also going toward the blacks/browns, but when I wear a brighter color I get compliments and wonder why the heck don't I wear hem more often? So Spring is upon us (kinda sorta here in SE Texas, went from 75 to 47 in 2 hours yesterday, hail & rain) so that's my mission is to be brighter!