Monday, April 28, 2014

Stalking wild food

This weekend, we were able to try a new food. My friend's son had gotten a bear during last fall's hunting season. He had it made into sausage. He gave us a pound of breakfast sausage, and a pound each of Italian and something labeled 'hot'.

The breakfast sausage was a part of a lazy Sunday morning breakfast, along with eggs and toast and orange juice. Brianna was the only one who liked it.

I was a little worried about lunch, but the meat was thawed so I had no choice but to cook it. I just put the two rolls of hot and Italian sausage into a crock pot, and covered them with onions, peppers, garlic, and portabella mushrooms. We went out and took a long walk with Dylan and Brittani trying to tire their dog Maggie out before they made the five hour drive back home. William went in a stroller.

It was a nice walk, and we strolled around the Barley home daydreaming about what could be done with a place like that. We talked as we walked, and it was fun.

When we got home, I whipped up a tossed salad to go with a leftover seafood pasta salad from the bridal shower. I also cooked up some fusilli with garlic and chile. I took the bear sausage out of the crock pot, cut it into slices and smothered everything with the peppers, onions and mushrooms.

The breakfast sausage had been a disappointment, but the Italian sausage was a hit, really quite good with all the vegetables. Tim and Brianna finished it off for lunch today while I was at work.

I'm not finished with my 'wild food' adventure. My sister brought me a bag of leeks. Right now, I've got a pot of potato leek soup simmering.

4 comments:

mrs.spit said...

Bear is great, but very, very gamey. You want really strong flavours with it. Sausage works quite well because it can also be a bit greasy.

Kelly said...

I don't really care for wild game, though I don't mind cooking it for my family. I'm glad the crockpot concoction was a hit.

Linda Gross said...

Earlier this year my brother- and sister-in-law considered purchase of the Barley Home. I took pictures inside and out. They opted not to buy the home.

Bia Brown said...

I never thought to try bear! Something to add to my 'wild food list' too!!