Monday, March 10, 2014

Entertainment

Today was a beautiful day. William and I left preschool. His mother was at work so we had a stretch of time to fill.

We went to the library, and for the first time William rode his birthday bike. He was thrilled.

The problem is that William does not yet peddle, despite repeated attempts to teach him how to move his little feet on the peddles. Calling attention to his feet caused him to slam on his coaster brakes since he seems to peddle backward. Grandma was awkwardly leaning on one side, keeping one hand on the handlebars, and using that to push Mr. I-Do-Not-Peddle. Slamming on his coaster brakes was not cool.

I finally gave up on teaching him how to peddle and just pushed him along. We met a couple walking and they were charmed by his huge grin. "I riding my bike," he proclaimed, waving. I said, "You know, this little bike rider isn't getting much of a workout."

After our trip to the library, he came home and helped me put together a crockpot of soup, adding the corn, the chopped peppers, chopped onions, beans and tomatoes. He continued to chatter away as he worked. He heard the train whistle from across town and said, "Listen, Gramma! That train say hi to me."
Once the soup was assembled and in the crockpot for tomorrow's meal, we sat down and ate our supper. He ate his ravioli with a hearty appetite, asking for seconds. I had yogurt for supper and he had a few bites of that as well.

I cleaned the kitchen and did the dishes while he played with playdough, and we sang the alphabet, and made letters with playdough strips.

Such a simple little day, but when we picked up his mother, he was excited about all of it and couldn't wait to tell her. It's easy to forget, isn't it? You can make a memorable day for a child and never spend a dime. Ironically, you can make a memorable day for grandma for the same low price.

I'm glad we got outside today. They are calling for 5-8 inches of snow to begin tomorrow afternoon. Visibility will be poor because the winds will be powerful. I'm sick of winter, luckily, William and I have a nice pot of soup all put together.

5 comments:

S. Etole said...

He sounds like a charming little boy. I enjoy my two grandsons so much.

Bush Babe said...

Ah William... sweet dreams are made of these! ♥ Debby, did anybody every tell you how incredible an observer you are? ;-) A gift.

KarenTX said...

I cannot wait until my granddaughter is old enough to do things like that with! She is only 4 months, but we play with her oys and I read to her. This Grandma gig is great!

Anonymous said...

Isn't being happy a grand thing? Maybe tomorrow you and William can erect a snow man.
- Bill - said that

jeanie said...

What a wonderful day! As to the pedalling - I remember doing that myself often!!!