Thursday, November 7, 2013

What I've been up to...

Children are charming little bacteria incubators. It was a glowing moment to take a look around earlier in the week and realize that I 'only' had two noses dripping green. (ack!)Predictably, I caught the cold going around.

I was standing in line at the Walmart to pick up my prescription. The elderly lady in front of me was sweet, and talkative, and normally, I can carry on a perfectly good conversation with a stump, but today I was tired from my third sleep deprived day due to middle of the night hacking. I responded to her chatter with faint smiles and quiet answers.

When she got up to the counter, she picked up her prescription, and proceeded to carry on a lengthy conversation with the clerk. It went on for some time. It went on long enough that I simply couldn't stand anymore. I sat down on a bench and waited.

While I waited for her to finish, I lectured myself. 'She's probably lonely' and 'it is not killing you to be patient'. But I was sick and I was exhausted, and I wanted to go home. I could see that the clerk was casting looks my way, and I tried to smile as if it did not matter.

When she finished, I stood up and went to the counter. The clerk nervously apologized. I said, "Please don't. She was probably lonely, and it cost didn't cost either one of us anything to be patient with her." I got my drugs and headed out. The woman was getting into a car which had driven over to pick her up. The car had scraped up against one of those concrete pilings outside the Walmart door. Neither the driver or the elderly woman seemed to notice. I walked to my car and when I pulled out, I found myself behind the self same vehicle. It drove very slowly, swerving back and forth over the center line.

There's no point to this story, none at all except that today, as bad as I felt, I was better off than some. I found myself counting my blessings. I will put myself to bed early tonight. I am glad that tomorrow is Friday. I'm also going to pray that the two elderly people have someone keeping a close eye on them.

5 comments:

jeanie said...

I also offer a little prayer that our Deb gets some well deserved rest and relief from the lurgy.

Kelly said...

I had a similar incident in the WalMart checkout not long ago. Funny how the checker feels it's their responsibility to apologize. I pretty much told her the same thing you did, that he was probably lonely and needed someone to talk to. In the big scheme of things, it didn't hurt me to slow down.

A letter is coming your way.

BUSH BABE said...

So glad she had someone patient behind her... so many have not, these days. Rest up, my friend!!
:-)
BB

Bill of Wasilla said...

Man, I gotta get a flu shot...

Bob said...

Hope you're feeling better soon and hope it's your only cold of the season. I have already fought off two with that zinc stuff they tell you take as soon as you feel the symptoms starting. Either it works or I've convinced myself it does!