Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sickening

We live in a quiet corner of the world, a place where not much happens. Imagine waking up to this in the morning paper.

I look at this kid's face, and it hurts my heart. Actually makes me sick to my stomach. I had a daughter who was 'different', and I know full well how mean kids can be. My experience with the principal was just as bad, as he seemed to think it was up to her to handle it.

The community rallies:

http://www.timesobserver.com/page/content.detail/id/566958/Rise-Against-Bullying.html

A friend, a Boy Scout leader, a former teacher, a man who's heavily invested in our youth offered up the suggestion that bullied kids should carry metal mirrors around. When they are being bullied, he suggests holding up the mirror to the bully's face as a way to combat the bullying.

The sweetness of his suggestion brought tears to my eyes. I typed my comment. "Mark, you are a gentle and kind soul in a world that is often not gentle or kind. I wish that the answer to bullying was as simple as self reflection. Unfortunately, bullies are not a self reflective breed.

I clicked off and I cried as I went about my day. The world is ugly, and it is up to us, all of us, each and every one of us, to be good. To do good. It is the only way to win this.

1 comment:

jeanie said...

Hugs Deb - there was a documentary on last night about Happiness, and obviously they covered some of these issues in it.

We have to teach our children of the power that they have and the wisdom that they will be required to wield it.

I sometimes worry about society...