Thursday, July 18, 2013

What I do

Sometimes, when you work with a severely handicapped population, you re-realize the importance of a small kindness. Today, a man began to cry, and I went to him, and I put my face close to his, and I rubbed his shoulder and talked to him. He turned his face into my shoulder and rubbed his cheek against it, making eye contact, lapping up our little time eagerly.

When you think about it, it breaks your heart a little...they are cared for and they do their activities, and they are fed and all of that, but sometimes, it is brought home, clearly, sharply, that what is missing from their lives is touch...one to one contact...a hug...

I can do that. I see the need and I can do that.

At the end of the day, I walk out, and I'm take a moment to thank God that I am where I am at, doing what I am doing. I thank God for the eyes to see the difference that a hug can make. I recommit myself to giving the best I can give, and giving it with love.

3 comments:

Scotty said...

Good on ya, Debby - you make a difference to people's lives. I respect and admire that in you.

KarenTX said...

You are uniquely qualified to reach out like that. I hope your patients' family, if they have one, recognize that.

Kelly said...

I thank God for people like you who follow their callings. You are definitely in the right place.