Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Rest of the Story

On yesterday's post, Cappy told a story of his sister's Hoosier cabinet:

My sister bought a Hoosier cabinet when she lived in an apartment building that was built in 1904. Nice high ceilings. (Each floor of the building was originally two large apartments, then they split them up and my sister had the maid's quarters, the original dining room [complete w/ bell button on the floor to call the maid] and one bedroom.)


She was moving and wasn't sure what to do w/ the Hoosier. She was pulling out drawers and such and found a signature and a maker's label from some town in Indiana. So she emailed the city hall of the town where it was made. The town had a small museum and they were very happy to get the Hoosier "back home." Turns out the gentleman that made it lived in to his 80's and passed away in the mid '70's.

It was pretty neat, all in all...

Our Hoosier cabinet has a story too.

I told your husband the history of the hoosier, it was first owned by the former funeral director, H.H. Hull and was shipped to his funeral home and furniture business for his wife in downtown Youngsville across from Dick's gas station. Mr. Hull went out to measure concrete vaults that he manufactured and did not come back for supper. Mrs. Hull went to check on him and a vault fell on him and killed him. She subsequently gave a promotion to Earl E. Young who drove the team of horses to the cemetery in the horse drawn hearse to become an embalmer. She paid for him to go to Eckels School of Embalming in Philadelphia for 6 weeks and when he returned she eventually sold him the business and he became the owner of the hoosier. Mr. Young bought the Kay Mansion and moved the funeral home business and he and his wife to its present location and took the hoosier with them and the entire time they lived there, it was in the upstairs kitchen( they had a full time maid and cook, Blanche Buelly who my dad said was a fantastic baker!). My dad came to town in 1948 after the War and lived with Mr. and Mrs Young and worked for them for 17 years before he sold the business to my Dad, thus my dad became the owner of the hoosier. My mother moved it out of the kitchen when we redecorated and she put in horrible metal cubbards which are still there. I worked for my dad and grew up above the funeral home and when I bought the business, I became the owner of the Hoosier. So, that's the story!

I told Cindy that I planned to copy her story and tape it to the back of the hoosier. The thing that I love about old furniture is that they all have a story. My very favorite thing is to know the stories, and to save them. The McKinney funeral home in Youngsville is well known to most locals.

Thanks for your story Cappy. We will examine the bottom of the drawers in our cabinet to look for a maker's signature.

1 comment:

Cappy said...

You're very welcome! Pleased to pop in and see it "published." grin