Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Surprise!

Come on in! Hang up your hat!
This is the new curio cabinet.
Tim picked it up today.
He was actually just as excited as I was.
We both think it looks like it belongs in the library.
           He said, "You know she's selling a Hoosier cabinet."               
I don't know what it is about them, but he's always wanted one. I think it must remind him of something pleasant about his childhood. But he's always wanted one. I think they are cool too. The cabinet was a different place than the curio cabinet, so he didn't actually see it, but she sent him this picture. I said, "Well, do you want to go and look at it?" and after the briefest of hesitations, he said, "Yes. I do." So we hopped back in the car and went off to look at it. Tim wanted it very badly. The woman was taking bids on it, and so we made our offer. She IM'ed me this afternoon. She has a feeling about us. She decided not to take bids. She considers our offer good and fair, and she accepted it.
We have the Hoosier cabinet.

You may not know this, but Tim has bought another house which he fell in love with. He wanted to move. It was a hard decision, but in the end, what I decided was that Tim has sacrificed a great deal for me, and it was my turn. I decided that our relationship was more important than our house. I told him I would move, under two conditions. The first was that the house be completely done. I'm not leaving my beautiful house to live in the middle of ongoing projects that may or may not get done. The second was that if I had to make a sacrifice for him, he could make one for me.
I could have a dog.
Okay.
No dog.
How about a cat.
And the deal was made.

Today, sitting at our table eating our lunch, Tim said, "You know, you get a piece like that Hoosier cabinet, it's got to be the focal point of your kitchen."
 I agreed.
He ate for a while, looking around.
He said, "I'm going to rent out the brick house."
Surprised, I said, "What?!!! We're not moving?"
And he said, "No."
A Hoosier cabinet does belong in an old house like ours.
Kind of hard to visualize it in a brick ranch style house.

I guess he really wanted a Hoosier cabinet even more than I knew.

I'm not at all sorry now that I bought that curio cabinet without asking.
Buck and Bob talk: "Did you hear that? We're staying right here!"
Bob says, "It wasn't the stinking Hoosier cabinet. It took four people to wrestle me up on this wall. It would take that many to get me back down. Plus, I really don't think I'd 'fit' in a 1970 style ranch either. I think I bring a certain ambience to this room, don't you?"
Buck snarled, "It's always all about you, isn't it?
Let's just back out of there and leave them bicker, okay?
Let's go hang out in the livingroom.

Wanna hear a secret about Nash?
Under all that hair, he's a she.
Vet will be called tomorrow.

4 comments:

R Phillips said...

It's been such a while since I've taken the time to visit your blogs...been so busy. But I sure am never disappointed. I love your stories!

KarenTX said...

So......Nashley? :o) The curio cabinet looks great there and the Hooser cabinet is very neat. You two guys are like peas in a pod over things. LOL Glad you're staying put, you have put so much work into this house.

Kelly said...

You took me on an emotional roller coaster ride with this post. At first I was loving all your "new" furniture. Then, I have to admit how disappointed I felt at the prospect of you moving. I've never even been there, but I love your house and what all you've done with it!. At least you left me on a high with the not-moving news and the kitty pic. :) Nash doesn't have to be a boy name.

Cappy said...

My sister bought a Hoosier cabinet when she lived in an apartment building that was built in 1904. Nice high ceilings. (Each floor of the building was originally two large apartments, then they split them up and my sister had the maid's quarters, the original dining room [complete w/ bell button on the floor to call the maid] and one bedroom.)

She was moving and wasn't sure what to do w/ the Hoosier. She was pulling out drawers and such and found a signature and a maker's label from some town in Indiana. So she emailed the city hall of the town where it was made. The town had a small museum and they were very happy to get the Hoosier "back home." Turns out the gentleman that made it lived in to his 80's and passed away in the mid '70's.

It was pretty neat, all in all...