Monday, May 20, 2013

That cat.

The cat chose to come back tonight.

 I was ready. I bought him some catfood. He took one sniff at it and chose not to eat, doubtless disdainful: "Yesterday it was a can of tuna for lunch and a fair amount of ham for supper. What is this 9 Lives garbage, lady?"

After choosing not to eat,  he chose to wander off to deliver a screaming butt kicking to a neighbor cat who had strolled over with the intent of being the butt kicker, not the butt kickee.

I don't think he is a bad cat. I think he had an unfortunate kittenhood. I find myself a bit worried. Tim has no patience for cheerful, good natured cats. He'll have even less patience for a juvenile delinquent cat with gourmet tastebuds and maladaptive behaviors.

I've been digging lilac suckers and setting them out front near the sidewalk. A woman asked me how much I wanted for them. "Pllt," I said, "you don't charge for what God's giving you free." She was happy and took two peonies too.

 It tickled me to watch a man carefully carry off a small basket of lily of the valley and pachysandra. He carefully returned the little empty basket.



4 comments:

jeanie said...

But the cat came back the very next day,
The cat came back, we thought he was a goner
But the cat came back; it just couldn't stay away...

Darn - thats going to be in my head from now on in!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)

KarenTX said...

Hapy Birthday!!! Wishing you the best one ever!!

ChicagoGrrrl said...

I looked at the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God", I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something", he replied, "I created you". ~Jim Willis, 1999

BUSH BABE said...

He sounds like a character. A cat who can look after himself. Hope you had a great birthday Deb.