Monday, May 27, 2013

Humble Pie.

I am not the most technical person in the world. In the state. In the county. In this house.

I was having difficult w/ our keyboard. I replaced the batteries. It still did not work. The batteries were from a package of cheapies, so my next question became: "Is this a problem with the keyboard, or with the cheap batteries?" Which lead me to get my next bright idea, which was to grab the batteries from our remote (which did work) and put them into the keyboard.

The keyboard STILL did not work. Moreover, now the remote didn't either, even after the batteries were replaced.

I finally got the keyboard to work, but the remote did not.

We get tons of advertising from the company, so I grabbed the latest and found the customer service number. I placed a call to Dish.

They couldn't find me in the system. I explained that we were 'bundled'. I gave our name, our address, both cell phone numbers.

He was getting frustrated. So was I. He kept telling me to look for a trap door on the front of the receiver. There was no trap door on the front of the receiver.

He said, "Do you see something that says System Info?"

I said, "No. It just says Direct TV..."

He said, 'hold up, hold up...'

I said, "What is this company?"

Neither one of us blurted what we were thinking and with that, I became one of those stupid people that customer service representatives will talk about forever.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Hahahahhaha!! Okay, I'm through laughing.

We have accounts at more than one bank and I have on more than one occasion taken the wrong deposit to the wrong bank. Oh well. We all make mistakes. You just have to laugh about it. :)

Mary Paddock said...

I once mailed an empty envelope to a landlord. Fortunately, the landlord knew exactly what I'd done and thought it was funny. She called me and told me what she'd received. I looked in the checkbook and, sure enough, there sat the check. I over-nighted it.

Despite our best efforts I think we're all occasionally "that person".

jeanie said...

V went to grab the Fish and Chips he had ordered, and the lady in the local shop couldn't find it. The little lightbulb went off in his head when he realised it was the OTHER local shop (we rotate them)

The lady said "you wouldn't believe how often that happens"

My issue with the remote that didn't work for the tv was batteries - I had them in back to front!