Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pushing through

I'm sitting here in the dark at the computer with a glass of wine.

I got a bit off track with my workouts during the neverending cold, and have resumed them. I was surprised at the initial difficulty. I was exhausted and it was hard to breathe. Today, I did 6.5 mi. doing a double cardio, the first was a 30 min 'armblaster' workout. Then I did a 35 min 'cool down' cardio on the treadmill, 3.5 mph. I was exhausted, but a good exhausted, but today, for the first time, I felt like I was back on track, so to speak.

You know, being a parent of adult children is hard stuff. You see them making foolish choices and it leaves you with a choice; you can either say, "Ah well, they are adults..." or you can say, "You're an adult and you're going to do what you're going to do, but your choice is an irresponsible one."

I was at a store when I saw one of my former Sunday School students, and I talked to him for a while. His dad came up and we talked a bit too. At one point, the father said something and his boy squinched up his face impatiently. Unperturbed, his father said, "I'm your father, and it is my job to tell you the truth."

Tonight, I looked into the face of my adult child. I took a deep breath and I said, "You're an adult and you're going to do what you're going to do, but your choice is an irresponsible and selfish one." I said no more.

I felt like crap for saying it. I would have felt like crap if I didn't.



2 comments:

jeanie said...

Hugs Debbie - I am going to resume my exercise soon, I swear... its just bed is so comfortable in the mornings...

Kelly said...

I never hesitate to give my adult children my opinion - whether they want it or not.

*sigh* It's not always easier when they're grown. Just different.