Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Life Lessons

Life lesson:

Blood pressure prescriptions...not optional my friends. Not optional.

Cara came home for the weekend. She kidnapped William. He had a great time with "CaWa", but also seemed a little bemused, not exactly certain why she was in his Mee-Ma's house. I was sick in bed, but I heard his little voice in the hall, explaining it all to CaWa. "This MEE-MA vacuum cleaner. This MEE-MA telephone. This GOMPA toothbrush. This MEE-MA toothbrush," and he led her through the house carefully pointing out his grandparent's belongings. Cara popped in to say, "Gees. I think he thinks I'm going to take your stuff."

I was telling a client about this today as we worked together. "Mee-Maw," I said, shaking my head. "Where did he come up with that? Who calls their grandma "Mee-Maw?" and worked away with her. Suddenly, she gave a quivering sigh, and I looked up, startled. Her brown eyes were far away, and filled with tears.

I stopped what I was doing, and put my face close to hers, and she sobbed against my shoulder. I cried too, for the inadvertent trigger of my words. At the end of the session, I took extra time to rub scented lotion into her hands and arms, and she smiled through her tears, delighted at the scent.

 Before long, her tears had stopped. As I gently wiped the traces of them from her cheeks, I prayed never to forget that locked inside that body without a voice there is a woman who loved ~no...loves~ her grandma.


2 comments:

Lori said...

Is she an older lady? If so, I was thinking that perhaps she was thinking of what her grandchildren call her. My grandparents were always called Mamaw and Papaw, and I know a lady who is Mee-Maw to her grandchildren. I'm one of those ladies who looks forward to my grandchildren (whenever I have any) calling me Granny, Grandma, or Mamaw. I don't care which.

KarenTX said...

Oh geesh..that made me choke up. Bless her heart and yours for being able to just "be" with her.