Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Woman at the Gym

Yesterday at the gym, I saw a very large woman who was working hard, moving from machine to machine with her checklist, disinfecting, doing her reps, and then moving on to the next. I recognized myself in her, and longed to say something encouraging.
Since she never really made eye contact with anyone, there was no opportunity to do so.

So I moved from machine to machine, carrying my check list and my own bottle of disinfectant, writing down my reps.

I did my 40 minutes of cardio after the weights, and I marked everything down, and I thought about that woman as I worked.

It seems strange to me to realize that I can see something laudible in the courage and strength of charactor of a total stranger, yet see none of that in myself.

Life's funny like that, isn't it?


3 comments:

Hal Johnson said...

Debby, I've often thought that if you saw a friend being as hard on another friend as you are on yourself, you'd be angry and him or her. You've always struck me as someone who is a wonderful friend. I hope you'll work on being a better friend to yourself. I think you deserve that.

Bob said...

Well said, Hal. Debby, I predict you'll be seeing "less" of this hard-working lady at the gym, just as you'll be seeing less of yourself! And in this case less is definitely more!

Anonymous said...

Time to take time each day to give yourself a loving hug Deb, just like you give others. Bxx