Thursday, October 11, 2012

Earthshaking!!!

A Novel Woman had an earthquake the other night. She talked about the big boom in the middle of the night that scared her more than the actual shaking. Half awake, she pondered whether she would be running into the street naked, or...and then she fell asleep.

That woman!!! She's hard to control when she's panic stricken, that's for sure.

I found myself fascinated by that boom. Was it a boom that caused the earth to move? Did she feel the boom or simply hear it? Did they happen simultaneously or did the earth shake, and then there was a boom, or vice versa. We all understand tectonic plates and how they are under pressure and can move suddenly, creating earthquakes, but for the first time, I found myself wondering about the sound these shifting plates would make.

I've heard of the earth making noise before, but never with my own ears. I watched video taken high in the mountains of people standing there scanning the mountains with their video cameras, saying "What IS that?" The same sort of phenomena has occured in big towns, small towns, by the ocean, far inland, on every continent (not sure about Anarctica).  It is all over the world. Google 'earth sounds' and you can hear these noises yourself.

In the furor over Mayan calendars and the end of the world, and such, much has been made of these sounds, but I've a notion that this has been going on for as long as the earth has existed. It is just that now, we are so connected to one another, our stories can be transmitted immediately, and compared immediately. 100 years ago, someone in Yugoslavia had no way to compare his experience with the experience of someone in Winsor, Canada. I think the didgeridoo is the attempt of an ancient people to recreate those earth sounds, much the same as the chants of Tibetian monks or the throat singing of the Inuits.

In discussing the sounds of the earth, Novel Woman has described the humming sound she has heard at her cottage while watching the Northern Lights. That's a sound I can understand, because it just seems to me that the northern lights would be generating a huge amount of electrical energy.

Another person described the spooky noise that a layer of ice makes over a large body of water, moaning and groaning. It quite gave her the creeps. I can understand that, as well, water being fluid and shifting under its mantle of ice, exerting pressure from below, pushing up against the ice, and then receding to well up someplace else.

I think that the most likely explanation for earth sounds, to my limited thinking anyway, is that deep within the earth, plates shift and move and they create pressures sending waves traveling through vast expanses of underground water, or pockets of oil reserves, or the like, generating noise from the earth itself. I can also see that sounds from outer space could be resonating against our planet.

I just think this is so cool.

Other earth-shaking news. I bought a fish. No. I am not talking about the salmon we are having for supper. He's a little blue fish swimming around a very large bowl. You should probably pray for Ka-bluey II. Ka-bluey I (from several years back) ended up slipping down the drain which evoked such an ear piercing scream from me that it brought Tim running from outside. When Tims run, there better be a reason, and he was not happy to find out that I was not being murdered in the bathroom, I assure you.

The fish is mostly for William, because he loves to look at things. I also bought him a star machine which casts rainbow colored stars across the library ceiling and walls where his little crib stands. Can't wait for his next visit!

After years of drinking cappuccino, I've given up the habit. My first cappuccino maker lasted for 13 years. I replaced it with the same brand, which lasted, say, five years. I have had two more Mr. Coffee cappuccino makers. Both of them actually exploded, the first blowing shrapnel all over creation, the second simply made a sound like a gun going off. Two exploding Mr. Coffees in the same year has made me decide that cappuccino is a dangerous thing, and I have switched to plain coffee. This is the first morning, and it was not so awful as I expected. I imagine that I'll live.

6 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

You slay me. First we HEARD the boom, then we felt the shaking. And it was a low, loud, rumble, kind of like thunder but bigger and rougher. But believe me, when I'm comfy in my nice new bed under my down comforter, it's going to take more than a few rumbles to get me out of it.

There are many strange things in the world we do not fully understand. Someday I'll share more stories with you, but I'll need chocolate and whisky first. And not in that order.

Good luck with the coffee maker. You know, there's more caffeine in coffee than cappuccino or espresso (something about the speed of the water passing through the grounds) so you'll be fine.

Cara said...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/BonJour-Oval-Frother-with-Stand/14892514

Buy the frother separately. Less chance of shrapnel to the leg.

quid said...


Cappucino makers have always scared me. We had one of the big royal gold Italian makers in our bakery that we owned in CT. The kind that cost $6,000. I developed the same type of care and respect with that machine as my dad had for his baler on our ranch.

Works amazing, absolutely necessary, scary as hell to operate.

I've pretty much given up my cappucino's and latte's for good old iced coffee, the nectar of the gods, year round in Florida. :)

jeanie said...

We have drip filter coffee here on the weekends (shhh - we have instant during the weeks - good quality instant, but instant all the same).

The only sounds of nature that may be more unique here than there I can think of is the howling winds when they hit the louvres.

Enjoy the fish.

BUSH BABE said...

I suspect you will survive! (And your waistline will thank you).
:-)\BB

Debby said...

Quite truthfully, BB, my waistline will be slightly the worse for the switch, probably. Old way: frothed nonfat milk, with coffee and just a drop of vanilla and probably 1/2 tsp. of sugar. I like my coffee to taste like coffee. New way? Sigh. I use the same amount of sugar and my little drop of vanilla...but now I use half and half.