Saturday, August 4, 2012

Nostalgia gum and other nonsense

On our big trip to Erie, I took my sister out for breakfast, to thank her. As we stood at the register, paying for our meal, I saw this.
Immediately, I thought of what an exciting thing this was back in the day. Gum that squirted. I loved this gum and chewed it all the time. I had no idea that it was still around, but there it was. I bought a pack immediately, and was excited about it.

I have the slightest quarrel about the whole thing. There was a big sign: "Nostalgia Gums." Beeman's is a nostalgia gum. And Teaberry gum. I mean my dad chewed those gums when he was a young man, and he's been gone for many years. But to stick Freshen Up gum there, I mean, well...I remember that. From my youth.

Which means that it sure as heck does not fall under 'nostalgia gum'.

5 comments:

Mrs.spit said...

I have seen candy from when I was a kid described as vintage. Grr.

Mrs.spit said...

I have seen candy from when I was a kid described as vintage. Grr.

A Novel Woman said...

Does Thrills count as vintage gum? My grandmother used to bring us packs from California so I always associate it with her. What about Hubba Bubba and Bazooka? Nostalgia gums?

ellie k said...

when I was young there was an older couple in our church and there names were Tilberry and Cloe it made us think of the old chewing gums Teaberry and Clove and we had a little snicker about that.

jeanie said...

I hate to break it to you Debby, but once your era has come back into style and dubbed "retro" by yoof, it is only a small matter of time before the vintage label gets tacked on...