Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Looked like a fool

So. I went to Lowe's to pick up six bags of mulch. They were heavy and wet from the rains that we've had, but I'm a strong gal, and so I threw them on the cart and headed for the register.

There was a woman in front of me with two carts of distressed plants, which are sold for a fraction of the price. Unfortunately, the plants had to be hand rung, over riding the price on each and every one of the probably 30 plants that she had, so it took a while. The cashier apologized. The customer apologized.

No need, though, because I'd just been in the distressed plant section and I did not find any perennials. Plenty of annuals, but I don't do annuals. When I plant something, it needs to stay planted, and it needs to come up year after year. None of this planting the same plants year after year.

But I digress. Evidently, I'd gone through the distressed section after this woman because she had two carts of perennials, and I found none. When everyone was apologizing, I said, "Don't worry about it. I'm a patient person." I am. I have to be. Because if I'd have found those plants before that customer in front of me, well, it would have been me holding up the line.

So I waited, being all patient. I did find myself thinking, "Dang. I should have used the restroom." But I was next in line, and I couldn't just abandon the line. So I decided to just 'hold it'. At the self same moment the woman behind me said, "You're dripping."

That was a jolt, I'm telling you. I looked at her, startled, thinking, 'I can't be. I'd have noticed something like that, for goodness sake.' She was pointing. I looked down. Sure enough, there was an ever increasing puddle. From the wet mulch.

I started laughing. Makes you look like an fool, when you're laughing and can't tell someone why.

3 comments:

jeanie said...

Phew!!!

Hal Johnson said...

Oh geez, I think I pulled a muscle laughing at that one. Luckily, it wasn't a bladder muscle.

Debby said...

I do have to admit, it was pretty shocking. My first thought was an outraged "I AM NOT!" which was quickly followed up with "But how would she know I had to pee?!!!" followed by a short period of uncertainty until I figured out what was going on.

Side note: One should not fall across the shopping cart laughing like a hyena when she has to pee. Just saying.