Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Shoes

You know, I shop in Goodwill a lot. I saw an adorable pair of clogs. Brown. I always wanted a pair of adorable clogs. I picked them up and saw that there were no signs of wear on the soles. These looked like brand new shoes. Did I mention that they were adorable?

So I bought them, and I was feeling like a very fortunate woman indeed.

Then I came home and put them on, and it was like my feet had died and been sent to hell.

 I've decided that I need to go shopping with other people. I need someone who can see past the whole "ooooh...clogs!...I like clogs..." People who will say things like, "Well, yes, moron, but did ya ever stop to wonder why an adorable pair of shoes like that would wind up in a Goodwill? Did you ever stop to wonder about why an adorable pair of shoes would show no sign of wear? Did you ever stop to wonder if, maybe, just MAYBE, these might turn out to be the most deucedly uncomfortable shoes known to all mankind?"

I need someone who will say, "Hold on a minute right there, sistah! Sit down and try those shoes on. You NEVER buy shoes without trying them on." I do know this little factoid, but sometimes, when shoes are speaking to me, I forget about it. This brings me to another important point: My shopping friend will have to speak louder than shoes.

I cannot tell you how many times I fallen under the spell of a pair of purty shoes simply because they look brand new. I just never seem to learn.





6 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

You bought shoes without trying them on?! You big silly. The only time I've done that is when I've bought a pair and I order another pair of the same shoe in a different colour. Well, you can always donate them to Goodwill, but I'd include a tag that says "Torture Device Disguised as Shoes" or maybe call them Herb Planters.

Debby said...

I know. I know. These were so uncomfortable, however, that I think that they might have larned me proper this time.

Bob said...

I'm a Goodwill shopper too and have no problem wearing clothes others might have worn, but I draw the line at shoes. They are at Goodwill for a reason, as you learned!

Mary Paddock said...

I've done this exact same thing. Only I'm inclined to put them in my closet and insist that I will wear them some day, no matter what.

Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

Oh yeah, been there and have the shoes to show for it. I often am able to gift them to my daughter whose closet is slightly bigger than mine but who, like me, wears the same stuff day in and day out... Shoes, we ought to leave them where we find them, ought'n we ?~!

jeanie said...

I bought a pair of purple Doc Martens at an op shop many years ago - it was sacrilige as they had marked them as $4!!!

They were only 1/2 size too small.