Sunday, July 22, 2012

Fearmongering

That whole shooting in Aurora Colorado was just awful, wasn't it? Some folks went to a midnight 'Batman' premiere, and somehow, 12 people end up dead. 58 wounded.

The shooter was a gifted science student who inexplicably dropped out of college. He'd been planning the whole thing for months, ordering ammo and explosives from the internet, stockpiling, purchasing weapons.

I don't get it. Like a great many other things that happen in this world, I don't get this. How can someone do such a thing. But he did, and now there are grieving families, and traumatized victims, and funerals being planned, lives changed simply because a group of innocent people decided to go to a movie.

The horror of this man's actions cannot be ignored. It's talked about endlessly, everywhere. The television. The radio. The internet. The newspaper. Magazines. No escaping it. This terrible awful thing happened. No matter how much reporting is done, though, the one thing that will never change is this: I don't get it. I don't understand his actions, his thinking. I don't understand why he did what he did. I don't understand what he thought his actions were going to achieve.

But here's something else I don't get. I don't get the mindset of people who live half a country away from this, breathlessly following every new update while mournfully pronouncing "It's not even safe to go to the movies anymore," as their little audience clucks and agrees about how dangerous our world is.

What the hell?!!!

The fact of the matter is this: This is not everyday life for most of America, thank God. It IS safe to go to the movies. Just that one awful day, in that one awful theater, something awful did happen, and believe you me, my heart breaks for those people and their families. But I don't understand people who are so quick to take a catastrophe and make it their own, to personalize it, to turn it into their own life changing event. That's just craziness, idle talk of the over dramatic.

I just have no patience for people like this. We are perfectly capable of realistically watching the news, and accurately assessing a tragedy like that as a terrible thing that happened, something that is not likely to happen on a regular basis, but a truly horrific event for those involved. We might decide to do something to help those people. We can avoid fearmongering. We are intelligent people, aren't we?

Aren't we?

*crickets*

2 comments:

Bob said...

Yes we are and I totally agree that folks take this to ridiculous extremes.

What if unfortunately true, however, is that with the proliferation of these types of events, we continue to lose things. There was a time when we could board airplanes and go into government buildings without going through metal detectors. Today, because of events like this, we have to.

I'm seriously concerned that at some point we'll be going through metal detectors before we go to movies. It might spread to malls and grocery stores. I really hope I am wrong.

Bob Barbanes: said...

We see these events and the fearful among us actually believe that they are becoming so commonplace that it actually *could* happen to them, in their town, in line for their movie theatre.

There will always be crazy people out there doing crazy things. What happened in Colorado was horrible, yes. But as much as we'd like to, we can't stop things like that from happening...not all of it. And I agree with Bob above; the more we try, the closer we move toward becoming a Police State in which we have to go through a metal detector just to get into the mall.

So yeah, I watch these types of things and I say, "How terrible." But it doesn't stop me from going to the movies.