Monday, June 4, 2012

Joy

The unbloggable has taken over the bloggable in my life right now. That does not mean that I have nothing to say. Quite a lot actually.

Here's a snapshot for you: One of the men I work with has a vacant look. He is nonverbal, and he rocks, gazing at nothing with a sweet look on his face. But he understands that his mother is coming for a visit, and he smiles when we remind him of this. I studied him thinking, "On some level, there is an ability to understand..." so I began to speak to him, to get close to his face, to repeat his name, to smile at him.

I saw his eyes focus. There was a look ~ astonishment? ~ and very slowly, his hand reached up, hesitated...and then he touched my face. And he smiled.

My heart nearly burst with the joy of that small and perfect moment.

5 comments:

KarenTX said...

Oh, what a wonderful thing! WTG, Deb!

BUSH BABE said...

Momentous... how wonderful to be part of that moment.
:-)
BB

Jayne said...

Yay! THIS is what you're meant to do, Debby, to get through and help people in your own special way :)

Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

Grace allowed you a small view today; more will follow. Accept each as the blessing it is intended to be, knowing you are giving at least as much as you are receiving.

Bob said...

You know you are doing God's work, don't you?