Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Last Freight Day

This morning, the alarm went off and I fumbled for it. I usually am awake before the alarm, but this day I was dopey, and coughing. From his side of the bed, Tim said, "I don't think you should go to work today."

It was freight day, though. It puts the whole team in a pinch when one person does not show up, and since this is my last week, I was afraid the manager would not believe that I was sick. So I got up and showered and got ready for work.

I'm glad I did. Today, there was a cake with careful writing across the top: "Good luck, Debby" Our assistant manager and his little girl had baked and decorated it together. When they were done, Maddie went to her room and came back with one of her hair ties, which she wanted him to give to me, just in case I needed to pull back my hair at my new job. How cute was that?

We sat around at break time, eating cake, and reminiscing. We've had some fun times. Truly, they have been such a great group to work with. We laughed our heads off at the rememberings.  Karen remembered the first day that she discovered that, on occasion, I could (and would) swear. We pranked each other on a pretty regular basis, and we remembered those too. It was hard not to get a little misty about the whole thing. I told them that I would miss them a lot, that I really thought a lot of all of them. They told me that they'd miss me, too.

 It was very nice to know that I was respected by my peers, and that they considered me hardworking and smart and funny. That's how I see myself, and how I see myself does not always match with how others see me. This time, though, it did. It did.

Despite the problems at the end, it was a good job, one that I enjoyed very much.

2 comments:

Bob Barbanes: said...

Wow, nice story. It's great to leave a job on such good terms. It's also nice to find out that you were really well thought-of. I'll tell ya though, we're gonna miss your "Today At Tractor Supply" posts. They were some of the best short-stories I've ever read. Many of them made me get all sinus-y like Hal Johnson gets out there in Calaforneeay. Must be the left coast pollen migrating down here to Flo'da.

And finally, Tractor Supply is losing one of their best employees. I hope the corporation realizes what a great P.R. rep and spokesman you've been.

Hopefully the touching, heartfelt stories of your new endeavors won't stop. And as long as you keep writing 'em, I'll keep reading 'em.

Good luck!

Nancy's Point said...

Debby,
What a nice way to end things. I see you as smart, hardworking and funny, too, by the way!