Friday, May 25, 2012

Golden

There is something wonderful about growing older. You don't often hear about it in this youth obsessed world that we live in, but I'm enjoying it.

Mary wrote a piece about her boys on her blog. It struck a chord with Hal, because he'd just come home to discover that his son had suddenly become taller than his wife.

My youngest is 22 now. My oldest is 30.

Do I miss those days when they were all at home? Yes. I do. Mostly what I wish for is 'do-over' moments. The chance to do it differently, to do it better, or maybe just to be more recognizant of the fact that those days will not last forever, to do a little more savoring.

But there is something wonderful about seeing them as adults. To watch your son's relationship with a lovely and sensible woman grow strong and unbreakable. To discover that he behaves with honor even when his mother is not around. Watching your own daughter learning to be a mother to her own baby boy, to sit in the driveway blowing bubbles, listening to baby babble and laughing quietly together as the day eases into night. I've watched Cara graduate from college. Not just simply graduate but to graduate with honors.

I'm at a point where I am watching them head off in their own directions and that is satisfying to me, to know that I have had a hand in their independence. It's still exciting to me, even though I do not see them every day or even talk to them every day, for that matter. They are grown now, my legacy to this world, and I am discovering that there is something every bit as precious and golden about these days as those precious and golden days of childhood.

I'm also discovering that two people left in an empty house automatically turn to each other. Know what? That is golden too.

9 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

Right on, sistah. You and I are in the same situation in life and it's pretty sweet.

I don't know who these women are who are wringing their hands over their "empty nest" situation because what they don't seem to realize is that the nest is never truly empty. Not as long as the fridge is full, anyway.

Hal Johnson said...

Yeah, to do it differently, to do it better, I sometimes fantasize about having that chance. But mostly, it's the savoring. I'd like to go back and savor those magic moments all the more.

I guess we should all be thankful that we have the chance to savor those magic moments in our hearts.

ellie k said...

Oh, such true words, I think of do overs sometimes and then just watch and see how wise my kids are as adults and thing I did something right. my kids are 43 and 41 but still need advice at times but have very good heads on them and make good choices.

Bob said...

Well said, Debby. For us, it's more of a revolving door than in empty next. Every time we think it's empty, here one of them comes. But we're glad to see 'em!

BUSH BABE said...

It's all ahead of me, but believe me, I am taking your advice and savouring the HECK out it all.
:-)
BB

quid said...

That concept of savoring... it is worth a fortune. My own independence in my empty house, with kids welcome back at any time....its pretty golden, as well.

quid

Bill of Wasilla said...

Yeah, it's been amazing to me to watch my oldest son be a far better dad to his boys than I was to him and his siblings. I have yet to discover what it would be like to have the house to just my wife and I and I fear I never will.

Bill of Wasilla said...

Yeah, it's been amazing to me to watch my oldest son be a far better dad to his boys than I was to him and his siblings. I have yet to discover what it would be like to have the house to just my wife and I and I fear I never will.

Coralee said...

I've not had the gift of children but I have sisters, brothers, nieces & nephews and the feelings I've experienced over the years are very similar to what you describe but from a slightly different chair.
There are days that my heart breaks and days when it swells; but there are never days that it's not filled with love.