Friday, March 9, 2012

Today, but not at the Tractor Supply

Today, I worked in a facility with very damaged people, mostly non-verbal. When a person can't talk, you have to learn their faces, their movements.

Today, I learned that I am good at that. I am very good at that.

Today, I saw it in session after session. Spasticity eased from muscles. Self injurious behaviors stopped. Frustrated vocalizations stopped. Twisted faces went slack. Eyes went wide. There were smiles. There were happy noises.

You know, all I ever wanted to do is make a diffence in this world. I wanted to mean something.

Today I did.

I've never wanted a job like I want this job. I know it's only clinicals, but this is where I want to be. I prayed so hard for this job on the way home that I cried.

7 comments:

ellie k said...

You are such a caring person, I pray that you get the job you want. we live near Sun City Fl. so there are lots of older people here. Ron (my husband) takes care of his mother and an eldery lady (90) from our church, his mother lives in her own house but her memory is going fast but she can still take care of herself. the other lady is the last member of her family and has no one to do for her, she is now in a rehab because of a fall, she is going into assisted living next wee, my husband takes care of all her bills, taxes, her mail and the empty house and car. it is so sad to see these people that have had such productive lifes that are just fading away now. Thanks for all you do for these people and the wonderful notes to me.

BUSH BABE said...

I pray if ever I am damaged in that way, I get someone JUST like you to help me.


BB

A Novel Woman said...

Your patients are so lucky to have you.

Anonymous said...

Debby, If I ever need and OT, I know who I'll call. What a gift you are to your clients! Keep up the good work and enjoy yourself. God has specially gifted you!
Love, Judy

quid said...

It is such a wonderful thing to see someone so fulfilled by what they do.

quid

Nancy's Point said...

I'm very touched by your words here. I'm hoping and praying you get the job too. You'd be amazing.

PaintedPromise said...

Ditto Bush Babe...

we had another mini visit yesterday, took a few of the minis to a memory care facility... that's as far as i will ever get but it's rewarding too :)