Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Corney Comes Home.

Well, we are in possession of one buffalo head, antique, hand made black smithed hanger, attached to a very thick and heavy piece of wood. Tim loves him.

I talked to him (Tim, not the buffalo) on the phone at his break time, and he says, "The thing was supposed to be shot by "Commodore" Cornelius Vanderbilt." Me: "You're joking." Tim did not have a clue. Looked him up on the computer. He says, "The guy was rich. Only rich people would have heads mounted." (The guy was rich. That would be an understatement.)

I called Pete. "Where'd you get this?" His ex-father in law. About 35 years ago. He's been hoping for a wall to hang it on ever since. His wife has stood firm for a such a long time now that Pete has conceded defeat.

There is no provenance, but it is very interesting, and I have come to the library for some books. And to post, because I was in the middle of reading about rich men hunting from the train windows when my computer suddenly went berserk, with all sorts of warnings and pop-ups. McAfee could not fix the problem. My great and powerful computer guru has gone home for the night. Hard telling when I'll be back, but it is a truly excellent excuse for not researching my homework assignment. My computer has gone all to crap, and the library closes at 8.

That's damn sad. I'll go console myself with some books on the Vanderbilts.

I'll be back at some point. In the meantime, why don't you all look up how to dust a buffalo?

6 comments:

quid said...

Vanderbilt away! Enjoy, Debbie.

Hope your computer recovers from a bout of the berserks.

quid

A Novel Woman said...

"How To Dust A Buffalo" could be the title of your book of essays.

Kelly said...

I've never figured out how to dust a duck. Seriously, I did read some tips once on how to take care of stuff like that. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

In the meantime, I sure hope your computer recovers soon!

Linda G. said...

If you ever need another computer guru, my husband would be able to assist you.

The Factory said...

Don't you worry that you may catch him staring at you ? That would scare the hell out of me.

Lori said...

We have a mounted elk head. My daughter uses a soft bristled baby brush and brush it once in a while to dislodge dust. Always brush the way the hair grows naturally. Then once in a while I will mist the entire thing with a little bit of vinegar water, then wipe it with a very soft rag (baby wash cloth). The next day after it is dry we'll brush it with the baby brush. I wipe down the antlers and the eyes when I mist it, and my daughter dusts then with a dry cloth when she gives it a brush. I know that some people use a mild detergent to wipe them if they get really dirty, then brush them after they've dried for 24 hours, but we've never had to do that. I don't know if you do it the same way for a buffalo mount, but I would imagine it wouldn't be much different.