Sunday, February 26, 2012

Shock

Cara is in Muncie, Indiana. She had another interview for another graduate school. We talked last night. She doesn't get the 'good vibes' from this interview as she did from IUP where she's been accepted. It's important to apply to all of the schools, however, because the offers and scholarships might vary wildly.

So last night we were talking. She felt that she'd been very successful at one interview, and got strong 'We don't like you' vibes from the second interview, which puzzled her. She talked about her hotel room. She said that her head board was screwed into the wall, but on the opposite side of the wall, the head board must in the next room must be attached in the same place. When the people in the next room decided to display their love in a very physical way she felt the vibrations in her own bed, which caused no small amount of hysteria on her part. Truth be told, she was still laughing so hard, 12 hours after the event, that I could barely understand her. She said she kept telling herself, "This cannot go on for over 10 minutes." Blessedly, it did not.

We shared her adventures, and laughed and talked easily together, and when we hung up the phone, we said, "I love you," and "Call me tomorrow."

After that conversation, almost immediately, the phone rang again. It was Cara, and her voice was small and shocked. "Mom, pray for Alex. Her parents were in a terrible wreck."

This morning, she called once again, before setting out for home, and I knew from her voice that it would be bad news. Sadly, today, there is a young woman, an only child, who has lost both her parents overnight. Cara sobbed, "It does not even seem possible." I said, "Well, it's thankfully not a common thing, but we know that it is not impossible." We talked. I tried to think of the wise things to say.

And when I hung up the phone this morning, I was glad that I was there for Cara. I cried to think of Alex, and prayed that someone is there for her this morning as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an only child and when both my parents passed away I felt lost, it really left a big hole in my life and I needed brothers or sisters to gather ranks with. I feel for this young lady, my prayers are for her.

BUSH BABE said...

Oh GOD!!! I saw Cara's FB update last night and wondered... my heart aches for this young woman whom I have never met, and for Cara who will need to be so strong for her over the next days, weeks, months, years.

Thinking of you all.
BB

Linda G. said...

I'm sorry to hear that Cara's friend's parents were in a fatal accident. How devastating :-(

A Novel Woman said...

Oh, I'm so sorry.