Thursday, January 5, 2012

Purposeful Intervention

There is a woman that wants to go home. So very badly. But she needed to be where she was, because she had a serious physical problem. A meeting today determined whether she was ready to leave or not, and yesterday, she was fretful and impatient. I knew that she worried. I get like that, myself. Been there. Done that. I was not put off by it.

This morning, I asked her if she were excited, and she said "I have learned not to get excited. It's just too disappointing when it doesn't happen." I asked her when her meeting was, and she told me. I promised to say a prayer for her.

I was amazed to be invited to sit in on this important meeting. I agreed, and I took a place at her side. Her daughter was excited that I was there. She recognized me from the paper.

I listened as it was discussed. Would it be possible? How could we make this work for her? Although I had not planned to speak, I did.

Long story short, my friend will go home. At the end of the meeting, I hugged her neck and she whispered "Thank you," very emotionally, although I'd done nothing at all. But it was a galvanizing moment for me. I realized my own purpose. I don't want to work in a facility. I want to be in home health. I want to help people go home.

10 comments:

jeanie said...

It is exactly what you are intended to do, I am sure.

Kelly said...

I think you will be wonderful at it.

Jayne said...

Fingers crossed you find the ideal vacancy waiting just for you asap :)

steviewren said...

Sounds like a perfectly matched job for you! Much good luck and happiness are being sent your way.

quid said...

I find that I feel the same. The best part about working for hospice is that the majority of patients get treatment at home; where they want to be.

quid

Scotty said...

I want to help people go home.

That's such a powerful statement - kudos, Debby.

BUSH BABE said...

Serendipity... not totally sure that's the right word... but it FEELS right. Meant to be.

Go forth and do good.
:-)
BB

Bill of Wasilla said...

Sometimes, just being there means everything.

I'm glad it worked out.

Pencil Writer said...

so good! My Mother wants to go home too, but has a huge mental disconnect with wanting to and doing what she has to do to be able to go home. It makes me very sad for her, even though she seems to be reasonably happy and comfortable where she is residing.

I'm glad you've found what you want to do. I'm sure you will be great

Pencil Writer said...

so good! My Mother wants to go home too, but has a huge mental disconnect with wanting to and doing what she has to do to be able to go home. It makes me very sad for her, even though she seems to be reasonably happy and comfortable where she is residing.

I'm glad you've found what you want to do. I'm sure you will be great