Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New way of thinking

You know, I've not had a lot of options in my life. I have always done what needed doing. I worked low paying jobs, and I worked more than one of them at a time, usually. It's how I made ends meet. It wasn't ideal, but it's what needed doing.

I've had a job offer, a part time job, one that would fit around what I'm doing. It would pay better than the job at the Tractor Supply. Since my hours there are so limited, it seemed like it would be the right thing to do, to take this job.

It was a private duty job. The man is a local business man. Imperious, demanding. I've dealt with that before, and I am pretty good at deflecting all of that. But I continued to watch him, and I realized that when he gets home, he has no intention of following any sort of regimen to maintain his mobility and health. He will do as he pleases. He will call the shots. I will do as I am told.

I watch his interactions with "his man," the person I would be working opposite of. I realize that this man is a 'yes man.' He is an orderly at a hospital, but he second guesses the doctor's orders, and the rehab department's work. He knows everything, and we know nothing.

I've been thinking about that. I am moving into a new field. To have a client do poorly, to lose the progress we've made in therapy...well...that would reflect poorly on my skills. It would make me look like a person that does not know how to do her job.

I've decided not to take that job.

This is the very first time I've ever made a job decision that was not solely based on the money aspect.

4 comments:

Brianna said...

I think you made the right decision, Mom. Sometimes, it should come down to more than the money. There are more important things... :)

Mrs. Spit said...

Good for you Debbie. I've often thought I will know that I am grown up when I see a problem and decide not to take the job, rather than convincing myself I can do anything.

I really, really, really can't.

Caroline said...

Yes you made the right decision. Money is only a portion of job satisfaction. Two other important factors are fit with your skills and fit with the environment. This one sounds like the work environment is not for you.

Kelly said...

The others are right. You can't base all your decisions on money alone.